Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a Manzanita plant at the local nursery that I purchased. What's the best way to prepare the wood or any branches from a tree for a planted tanks. Should you cut it and dry it for extended periods then boil it until the tannins are released?

The odd thing is that most trees have natural oils (particulary Mediterranean plants ie. the Manzanita tree to protect them from the dry climate). How are they still safe and used in most planted tanks without killing the fish and the invertebrates with their oils?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I'm not sure I would suggest using live wood (recently cut) in the tank - at least I personally, would not. Otherwise, when I find some wood I want, I clean it really good, removing any dead wood, then boil it for 10-15 minutes. This will kill any nasties and help in getting some tannins out, and start toward becoming waterlogged. After this it's just a matter of waiting for it sink - usually by placing it in a large plastic tub weighted down in the water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I was planning to cut it and allow it to dry over several months then continue with the boiling process. This way and can prepare the exact piece I want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts