Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing how much driftwood costs shipped I went looking for my own along the shores of a local reservoir. Found lots of nice round pieces but then literally stumbled over a tree. 45 min with a hand saw and this is my prize. It is oak, currently weighed down in a lined 55 gal drum in an effort to make it sink. I'm thinking to place it in the tank as in the 1st picture.

Comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
In whatever position you choose, don't forget to cover up the end that looks sawed off. Otherwise, it all depends on the supplementary pieces of driftwood you will be using in your aquarium. Show is a picture of it in the actual tank. :mrgreen:

Some rules of thumb that I use. Some apply to you and some don't:

1) Wood is meant to be arranged so that each piece contributes and enhances the other pieces. Just because a piece looks good doesn't mean it should be forced into your aquascape.

2) Never use pieces of wood that have very straight lines. Always find pieces of driftwood with some sort of curve, interesting texture, some branching, etc.

3) Never choose a piece of wood that is too complex, i.e. a highly branchy pieces will overpower your layout.

4) Multiple pieces of driftwood is the best way to go (as Amano has shown, nearly all of his layouts are using lots of smaller branches made to seem like it is one piece). It will give you flexibility in positioning each branch so that it is "perfect" to your eye.

5) Try to use an odd number of pieces, always.

6) Never use pieces of driftwood that are of a different character from the other pieces. For example, never use a lightly colored, smooth piece of driftwood with a very dark, rough piece of driftwood. It looks unnatural.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice find. I like using one single peice of driftwood in my tanks. But my tanks dont look too great. I can't find any references on amano on how Driftwood is place in his tanks. Some look to have just one peice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts