Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Driftwood Floating

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  wicked_good_guppies 
#1 ·
So what are some tips and tricks for keeping this stuff submerged in the tank? I recently just bought a nice peice for 50¢ at a gargage sale.

#4 ·
If you can, boil it. This will force oxygen out and water into the fibers of hte wood and help it to sink faster. You can always tie it to some slate or something and hide the slate under the gravel. You could screw it to some slate too, just make sure you use stainless steel screws, and make sure the rock will be sufficient to hold down the wod.

Either way I would recomend boiling it, or pouring soem boiling water over it if it is to big to boil. This will help it to sink a little and also help kill any nasties that might be on it already:)

Remember, the key to enjoying the hobby, IMO, is patience. Whenever I hurry I am always dissatisfied by the results.

#6 ·
here's an immediate way of getting it in the tank in no time: Mason drill bit used for hole thru say 8"x8" piece of slate. Use Stainless steel screw if ya can, into the driftwood held at the right angle you want. And wa la...under the substrate and she's down for good!

Chris

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips, I think I might to a combination of the two and see if I can epoxy it to a peice of slate. I actually squeezed into 5 gallon pot and boiled it last night for about an hour. The wood was very brittle though. Like I said I bought it at garage sale and have no idea what kind of wood it is.

Is there a specific type of epoxy I should be looking for?

#8 ·
If the wood is brittle it may not be ideal for your tank is it could rot or even be partially rotted. You should not be able to dig your finger nail into the wood too easily for example.

I screw pieces of slate or even plexiglass on the bottom which overhang out further than the sides of the wood, this gives it "flaps" so to speak which you then weigh down with gravel and other rocks to hold it in place. Another thing I have done in the past with wood that just didn't want to sink even after a year in the tank, I drilled large holes into the bottom and poured molten lead into them, then sealed the holes with regular fast setting epoxy. Works very well but a little more work involved. It allows moving the wood very easily though.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

#9 ·
gpodio said:
If the wood is brittle it may not be ideal for your tank is it could rot or even be partially rotted.
I agree, you could have problems with it decomposing in your tank if it's already brittle.

I'd also stick it in a bucket of water for a day or two to see if it changes your water parameters since you're not sure what kind of wood it is. Some woods that people have thought were appropriate for aquariums have caused near disaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.