Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reworking an existing tank and adding a large piece of wood I found I the park (pecan I think). I've soaked it for a couple of weeks and it's no longer floating, however, it tinges the water it's soaking in red. Will this finally leach out, or I have I found a piece of wood that will never be usable?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Eventually the leaching will stop. You could speed up the process by taking the wood out and placing it in something large enough to cover it with boiling water. If it's small enough to put in a large pot, that would be even better so you can keep it boiling. That will get most of the color leached out relatively quickly.

I'm not sure how dense pecan is, so just keep an eye on it, and if it seems to be rotting away in your tank, you'll want to remove it. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Do we get to see pics?

-Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave
It's too big to put in a pot on the stove, but since it's 100+ degrees here the vat outside is pretty close. I'll add some boiling water and yes, as soon as i get it set up I'll post some pics

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure if pecan is the best driftwood to use, but tannins are causing the water to go tea coloured, and it will eventually leach out completely. I'd submerge the wood and when the water goes red/dark replace the tap water and repeat this to see if it begins to leach less over time. Two to three weeks of soaking is normal. You can also try scrubing the wood with a nail brush to help this process along, and boiling water is a good idea since it also helps remove any bacteria that could lead to a bacterial or fungal bloom in your tank. I'd also ensure the wood is completely dead (no green parts inside) which will rot and pollute your water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks EXV,
The branch is completely dead and the redness does seem to be getting less intense. I guess I just need to be a little more patient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts