Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like setting up my 55 gallon tank is on hold for a while. I filled it with water to test for leaks and all is well. Then I placed my prize piece of dead driftwood root that I collected in the tank to sink. It floats very nice thank you. It is too big to boil in a pot so I poured several gallons of boiling water on it before this. LOL Well, it has absorbed some water but it has not shown any signs of sinking to the bottom yet. I placed a 2X4 across the top of the tank to weight it down a bit. The tank has only water and the driftwood in it. I don't want to add substrate or anything until my prize piece of driftwood can be used in the aquascaping. No sign of brown water although the water is turning a little cloudy from just standing. I was hoping it would get water logged and sink on it's own. It's been floating for 5 days now. Any ideas on how long it will float? Any comments????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this is November 12th and it's still floating. I hope it doesn't turn out to be like the Energizer Bunny and keeps on---------- ---------!!!LOL

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinkin the same as Bert. My wife would probably have something to say about it. At any rate, did you run it with dishwasher soap or "without soup?" Seems like a dumb question but I would like to know. Perhaps the soaps will kill more bacteria or something or do something that makes it sink????????????????/ This is November 16th and I might have to build a raft out of it if its that good at floating. What a shame. It's a gorgeous root of an old dead tree I found in a dry creek bed. Perhaps root wood is too dense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy New Year----I took the bull/driftwood by it's roots---well it actually is a root----but anyway I weighed it down (12-20-2008) with a medium chunk of sandstone. As the root is all twisted beautifully, the rock looks like mother nature logged it there during some spring thunderstorm. I noticed a light film appearing on top of the water that is hardly noticeable. That root must be leaching some tannin out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Driftwood still floating----January 8, 2009

Happy New Year----- I celebrated New Years Day by adding substrate & filling the 55 gallon tank with water. Then I added my prize piece of driftwood root and weighed it down with a "grapefruit" size sandstone rock. The driftwood root is so twisted that the rock wedged very nicely and looked like mother nature placed it there. I BE PROUD OF MYSELF. LOL --So far, so good. It's staying put"!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.