Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First, I would like to thank those that replied to my earlier post. budak: the jave fern is indeed a Microsorium pteropus. I don't know much about the differences between submersed and emmersed but the big leaves don't seem to grow but there is a little one doing alright. tsunami: your point about the narrowness of the tank is well taken but I must do the best with what I have.
I am still going with the V shape but instead of the V being a bare back wall the V will be made up of the Rotala rotundifolia you see in the picture. I will use Heterranthera zosterifolia on each side of the Rotala as a contrast per the smaller drawing (not to scale). What do you think of this concept? The sword would be surrounded by either glosso or marselia sp and then baby tears then the stargrass trimmed into both a middle and background plant. As for the sword, it is a kleiner bar sword that I understand will get larger, but not too large. I see the driftwood as the main focus with the sword secondary. Is this a good place for the sword to serve this purpose?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Since my first and for a very long time my only planted tank was a 55g, I understand the issues involved with scaping this beast.

I am afraid that the approach you are attempting will not result in a successful scape. The sword plant is simply so large that you will lose the entire foreground and probably much of the background. I feel that it would lack depth.

My solution to the 55g is use a V-shaped arrangement with large, tall pieces of driftwood sitting diagonally across either side of the tank. This builds up the midground and funnels the vision to the background quite well. In my current scape, these pieces of driftwood will be covered in moss, Bolbitis, narrow leaf Java fern, and Anubias nana. I'll be showcasing this tank in AGA 2005.

Carlos

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.