Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

One of the LFS guy here said that I can use the normal Drinking Soda as a source of Co2 in the planted aquarium. He asked me to just pour a cup of Soda in to the tank - just wanted to know if this is true / will work ?

Kindly guide me...
Thanks and Regards
Kush

·
Registered
123 Posts
I most certainly would not! The issue lies in the OTHER ingredients of the soda. I would be most concerned about the effect on PH. Unless someone knows something I defiantly don't... Go back to the store, slap him, then never go back again!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Friends,

I mean the plain Club Soda without any flavor etc... so is it ok as a temporary measure ?

Thanks and Regards
Kush

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
my thought would be it would not give a consistent CO2 level - it would raise CO2 levels for a short period of time if at all.....I wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
525 Posts
IMHO problem with soda water is it can contain salts, can get expensive, only has a short term effect, can greatly lower P.H. will stress the fish with fluctuating changes in water conditions, constant and wide changes in Co2 can induce algae and stunt plants, and cant compare to the cost and effectiveness of D.I.Y. yeast.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually using plain soda water will in fact work. Someone over at ASW has been doing this on a pico aquarium.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:confused: In theory it could work. You could get around the issue of additives like sodium citrate etc. by purchasing a restaurant carbonation system and making your own seltzer. You could get around the issue of acidity spikes by carefully pouring measured amounts into the the tank at timed intervals. All in all, pretty expensive and time consuming compared to a using a real CO2 system. Seems like a pointless exercise unless you're a stubborn geek with a masochistic streak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
here, in Chile, i find a bottled purified carbonated water.

i put a half liter, about a 1/8 gal, weekly in a 10 gal tank with only eleocharis, and i have a good results.

ahh, and hello, this is my first post.

bye

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts