Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

My two cents are that:

Eco-complete + peat is probably not a good mix. Peat is so acidic that it might help release the iron from eco-complete in the water column, which could lead you to algae bloom. From what I remember, Diana had problems with algae when she enriched her soil with laterite (p. 132: "strong acidity and high humus content of the potting soil solubilized massive amounts of iron from the laterite causing iron toxicity to plants").

Why not wait before adding fertilizers? If your plants show specific problems you can address their needs by adding the right fertilizer. From what I've read on this forum, many people having a NPT do not use fertilizers (myself included), but that depends on many factors (type of soil, water hardness, etc.).

Finally, you're right about the cories: they are happier in group :D

Cheers,
Bart

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even if you have a small fishload, you can still add a little more food "for the plants". If you have snails or shrimps, the food will quickly disappear and reappear as snail mulm. With potting soil, I think that food is mainly used to replenish the soil, not as a fertilizer (the soil already contains a lot of nutriments). Others can correct me...

I've read a little about Tom Barr's methods and my first impression was that it was really different than NPTs. One thing I've learned the hard way is that you should not try to mix different methods unless you are ready to experiment a lot and live with the results ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.