Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man it's been a while since I've been to APC.
Ok my question is this. I have a male German Blue Ram in a 20H. A friend of mine is breeding Cockatoo Apistos and i was thinking of getting one. Cockatoos were my first choice for a dwarf cichlid, but i couldn't find one so i got a GBR instead. So based on your personal experiences, will my GBR and a cockatoo get along or not?
Straying away from the cockatoo, how about other dwarf cichlids together. Maybe a Gold ram with the GBR, or am i better off with an Apisto. There are plenty of visual barriers and hiding spots in the plants but I'm just worried that my GBR will be too territorial for another dwarf around.
Suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
GBR's are Microgeophagus ramirezi and they should be kept in pairs. Apistos are harems spawners and you should have a trio (one male and two females) in your tank if you decide to get them. The GBR and the Apisos will get along just fine and when it comes time to spawning there will be some territorial disputes between the two. Gold rams are the same species as the GBR, just a different color morph.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
If I mixed the two species for asthetics I would just get one male caucatoides.
I've bred both apistos and microgeos and they are not good tank mates with many fish if they're breeding, especially to other cichlids.
IME it's much more interesting to keep one species and let them breed. Cichlids are great parents and watching them raise fry is really fun and interesting.

I definitely wouldn't put a pair of rams and a trio of apistos in that size tank tho.

GL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts