Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered some Dwarf Hairgrass what is the best way to get this out of the pot and be able to plant it in my tank?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Very carefully!... Just remove the plant with wool from the plastic pot. The roots may be entangled around the bottom of the pot. If so you can cut some of the roots off and then cut the pot to remove it. After it is removed then start to peel away the wool from the plant. When the majority of the wool is removed, then run it under some tap water to loosen the rest up. This way most of the wool can be gotten out between the blades. Then separate the blades and plant. A royal PITA!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought you planted it in clumps like it comes. So I should pull every blade out individually and plant?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long will this take to take over and make a nice carpet? I order 3 pots for my 29 gallon tank. I am running a USA Light with 130 watts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No responce?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It grows fairly fast in my experience... after the initial planting, I'd say within 3 weeks you will see dramatic growth.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have a question about hairgrass, which I didn't see nessecary to start a new thread for: I've planted my dwarf hairgrass in a 2.5g tank, with DIY C02, and 20watts of light, but my filter (A cheap-o Tetra Whisper 10) seems to be uprooting the grass, as I continously see strands in the intake. I was wondering if it was alright to turn off the filter for a while, in order to let the roots sort of take hold?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tetra Incognita, I would not suggest to turn the filter off as your need to circulate the water and the minieral in it.

nicklovgren, yes, hairgrass would populate and reward you with a lush lawn. Plant them sparsely and they would spread in no time... if you have CO2 injection and highlight, you'll see baby blades of hairgrass in a matter of weeks. I'm using the EI method of fert dosing. Works fine with me...

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I consider 2.9 wpg medium/high light on a standard size tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let's suppose that's not a problem? In that case, if I shut off the filter for maybe 2-3 days until the roots totally took hold, would it cause any further problems?
I wouldn't shut off your filter. You could try putting some sort of sponge around the intake to slightly reduce the flow, and prevent plants from getting sucked up into the impeller/filter area.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been two week from when i planted my dwarf hairgrass and there is no sign of growth. Look exactly the same any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Its been two week from when i planted my dwarf hairgrass and there is no sign of growth. Look exactly the same any ideas?
From my experience it takes a while to get started. Did you cut back the original leaves? I have always found be cutting the original leaves to about 1/2 an inch it started to produce new runners much quicker.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes i cut them back to about 1/2 inch. Still no sign of anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts