Aquatic Plant Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have dwarf hairgrass, Glossostigma, Moneywort, Anachris, Java Moss, Cryptocorynes, African bolbitis fern and Rotala rotundifolia. The glossostigma i got the same time i got my dwarf hairgrass and it has not shown any sign of growth either. The money wort i got about a month ago i think it has grown about half a inch thats it not much growth either. Yet the money wort has grown a lot of roots on it. Anachris is growing great and fast. Java Moss i got at the same time as Dwarf Hairgrass and i have not noticed it growing either. I have some Cryptocorynes and they are going great and fast. The fern has not grown at all but i hear it grows very slow. Rotala rotundifolia i just got so i can't tell you how it is growing at the moment. I pulled a group of the Dwarf Hairgrass last night and didn't look like roots were growing any.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I planted mine around 3 weeks ago, and see lil sprouts coming up. Nothing much though, but I haven't cut any of the original leafs. I also ordered it overseas and alot of it was brown when I got it. I think i see progress though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looked today and saw i think one sprout comming up. Nothing much though. How about my money wart with no signs of growth there?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What do you people do about algae or other debris getting caught on the hairgrass? It looks terrible if you look up close.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree i have some on mine right now. When i change my water i just run my hose over the grass and it gets everything off though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use a really fine toothed comb, a toothbrush, and sometimes a fine paintbrush. All of them seem to work on getting debris out.
wouldnt that take a lot of time if you have a big tank?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Why is my money wart not growing or anything? There is ton of root growth.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My hair grass has still not grown hardley any!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp K2SO4
50% weekly water change

Im using 2 CO2 Bio Systems

·
Registered
44 Posts
Patrick 76, the bio co2 might be the problem. I know it's costy, but try using pressurised co2. Looking at everything you insert the ferts cant be the problem, although eleocharis is a swamp plant which considerably consumes via the rootsystem. I guess ferts in the water dont do all that much.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What a good co2 pressurised system to start off with? Not looking to spend a lot.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I picked up a JBJ regulator with solenoid and bubble counter for $70 on ebay. Also picked up a Ceramic/glass co2 diffuser from aquaticmagic.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I'm new in this. Will manual CO2 injection work, instead of CO2 system cos I can't afford a CO2 system at the moment.
DIY CO2 does work, but it is a lot of routine work to keep it generating enough and steady enough CO2. If you use two or more bottles, with the start times staggered, so there is never a time when you have no CO2 at all, it works the best. Eventually we all get very tired of mixing sugar, water and yeast, and dumping what was in the water, but eventually stinks. If you can't afford pressurized CO2, the multiple bottle DIY CO2 is second best.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How many bottles do you think i need? I have the 2 Bio Generators right now think i need to make a coke bottle one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my experience with dwarf hairgrass after failing at it the first time around.

I had a bunch of hairgrass to start planted it cut it short but it was growing very very slowly if not at all. Also thread algae started to consume it while nothing else in my tank had thread algae.

After watching it slowly die from the algae I gave up and pulled as much as I could out and ordered a couple more pots of dwarf hairgrass. All my other plants were growing like weeds aswell so it wasn't ferts or CO2. What I learned was I had planted my hairgrass too deep and that was causing it to die/grow algae/ and see no growth.

My second attempt I planted the hairgrass with tweezers deep then pulled them up so that only the roots are under the soil. The hairgrass is now growing nicely with no signs of any algae.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts