Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I am starting this thread to catalog my IQ3 Dymax aquarium aquascape build, and get suggestions, and recommendations as well.

So, this tank sits on my desk in my office, and houses a single Betta. Currently, it has a chunk of Dragon stone in it, and gravel substrate. For plants, I have a moss ball, a riccia mat, Micro Sword, and Anacharis. There is also a small heater in the reservoir that is an autoset one to stay at 78 degrees, and two Dymax LED lamps.

I didn't really think much about aquascaping it, and was simply adding plants because I was so excited to get this up and running after having the tank for over a year and not being allowed to set it up in my old job. Now, I want to get something done proper with it.

So, here's what it currently looks like:

This is my Betta, he's apparently a "Mustard Gas" Crowntail.

Anyways, I'm doing a bunch of research, and look forward to sharing my progress!

Also, the plants have already been trimmed, they grow so fast I have to trim every couple days, and add them to my tank at home instead. haha

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
That tank is looking really good!

How long has it been setup?

Also, what is your opinion on the LED lights?

I haven't heard of that brand before and I'd love to know if they are any good. You wouldn't believe the number of people who ask about good LED systems nowadays.

I'm not sure that plant is anacharis. The leaves look too long and thin.

Also, what fertilizer scheme are you going to use?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Iq3 is the same company that makes scwd (squid) its a very common wave maker for reef tanks. They have been around atleast 10 years. I know they have tried to make several products over the years.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Zapins: It's been up and running for just under two months now, but the plants were added about three weeks ago. The LED lights work great. Lots of good, consistent light.

I was in the aquarium store the other day, and the IQ series by Dymax has been discontinued sadly. I guess they didn't do well with sales...

I currently have some under gravel ferts in there, and will eventually start dosing with Seachem. I'm still researching how to do all this properly, and thinking of the possibility of a small CO2 unit once I get this started with the new aquascape.

I did buy a nice piece of driftwood that I want to incorporate, but I think I want to go with a larger tank. Maybe the 5 gallon I saw the other day. lol Still needs to be small, but large enough to house the hardscape, as well as plants.

EDIT: Adding some pics.

So this is the piece of driftwood, which actually looks way larger in this pic than it is...

Next purchase I think will be the larger tank I was mentioning. I want something awesome for my desk at work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, it's been growing for a month now, and I'm really considering something a tiny bit larger. I'm still waiting on the pet shop here to get more Dragon Stone in as well so I can do a different scape.

But here's some progress on the tank. I've trimmed in the back a few times already, as this stuff grows so fast it clogs the tank up within a week. Betta is happily living as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts