Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

You're right about the flower buds. These plants grow along the banks in nature, and propagate via seeds. When it's submersed, I never notice any propagation this way. The single plant will just keep growing and growing. The submersed ones that I keep no longer shoot out any buds.

I've managed to grow out some babies from seeds that were given to me, but the seeds don't seem to germinate underwater. What I had to do was to place them in a shallow dish with some very moist substrate and have them under a good light source. Eventually, the young plantlets did grow out. Once they have enough leaves and roots, I could transfer them into the aquarium. This method requires lots of patience, and I feel that the other way (by slicing them with a razor) is a lot faster.

·
Registered
47 Posts
gnome said:
Hi, Vic!

Thank you for chiming in with this neat information. Do you think that these seeds require a dry period of a few weeks or months? Also, would you think it possible to germinate the seeds in wet sand? I was thinking of doing this with Elatine triandra seeds but I forgot about them and they ended up getting crusted onto the bottom of the glass that I was keeping them in. I figure that if I germinate them in sand, I can just start filling the container with water when the plant is ready to be submersed. Soil is always going to be rather messy, I'd think.

Right now, one of my cinereums has SIX flower stalks and will probably grow some more, and my other one appears to have at least five of those funnel-shaped leaves making way for the flowers. I wonder how long those stalks will continue to grow before "giving up" on ever reaching the surface...? They look so funny, now. Maybe they're trying to receive radio signals from outer space ;) .

-Naomi
The seeds I got were dry and were sent to me from a friend. I was told to "keep them damp, and under direct light for at least 6-8 hours a day". Some of them arrived pretty bashed up, but I did manage to germinate them. I tried a few variations. The best growth was from where I placed them in a tray with some emersed moss (used to retain water). I guess very wet substrate will do too. These seeds I have are supposed to be from some bigger eriocaulon sp, and they grow pretty slow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts