Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All!

Hope your New Year is off to a good start - pearling plants, receding algae, etc. :wink:

I've had my two Eriocaulon cinereums for some months, now - I think I got them around August or september... They've been growing beautifully and the longest blades are a good 2.5". My problem is that they're putting out all of these flower stalks and they're NOT budding any new plants. And these dang flower stalks make the plant so unsightly - they don't bloom since they're under water, look like drum sticks (as in what you play drums with - not chicken legs), and they poke out way farther than the leaves. I wanted to be able to propagate this plant but I can't! What might the problem be? Could it have to do with the tank not being heated? Or should my photoperiod be shorter (now 12 hrs)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Andrew!

Yes, that was fishfry who posted the photos of separating the baby plants from the mother. He posted it here, too. He's managed to get dozens of baby plants from the seven or so that he started with, and I haven't been able to get one! And the "mother" plant in his photo is much smaller than either of mine. I must have duds. Or maybe they want to get settled into their careers before they start a family...

Anyway, it's funny that you should mention cutting the flower stalk - last time I did this, it wasted no time in growing three more stalks from the same plant! They haven't yet put out the stalks themselves, but they did put out those "funnel-shaped" leaves through which the stalk eventually pokes through. The other one has a stalk PLUS about three or four more funnel-shaped leaves. It's driving me crazy. I'd like to have them bloom, but I can't lower the water level quite that low because I have other plants in the tank.

Well, unless somebody can give me a sure-fire way of propagating these things, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I may uproot them and trim the roots. I need to get rid of some of the older leaves that are yellowed and rotting.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll try growing one in a jar so I can play around with the water level and get flowers to bloom. They're just such expensive buggers! Okay - thanks.

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh! Almost forgot about this post. Sorry! Slipped my mind while the site was down for a few days.

pineapple said:
Good to see you reappear, Naomi.
Aw, thanks...

I've been checking in every once in a while, but 1) December is always a month of hell for me and 2) I was sort of frustrated and depressed about all of my tanks. Now my plan is to turn my 10-gallon into a low-light tank, and FINALLY, my T5 replacement bulb (for my 2.5-gallon tank) arrived and I've re-started my nano from scratch, which I'm slightly giddy about. Right now, three tiny pieces of dwarf lobelia are enjoying having the whole tank to themselves ;) . That should change, soon :D .

Well, thanks for the replies about the E. cinereum. This is a real bummer. I spent a lot of money for them, too. I have also noticed that since they started putting out flowers, they've really cut back on leaf production. I wonder if those flower stalks could grow long enough to break the surface...? That would be nice, and I could try to collect the seeds. Otherwise, I guess they're reaching the end of the road...

I think they grow in environments very similar to Elatine triandra and Elatine gussonei. Probably the only way to keep a population of it going indefinitely is to avoid creating conditions that mimic the time of year when they begin to produce seeds. Whatever these conditions may be :roll: ...

Okay, thanks again!

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Vic!

Thank you for chiming in with this neat information. Do you think that these seeds require a dry period of a few weeks or months? Also, would you think it possible to germinate the seeds in wet sand? I was thinking of doing this with Elatine triandra seeds but I forgot about them and they ended up getting crusted onto the bottom of the glass that I was keeping them in. I figure that if I germinate them in sand, I can just start filling the container with water when the plant is ready to be submersed. Soil is always going to be rather messy, I'd think.

Right now, one of my cinereums has SIX flower stalks and will probably grow some more, and my other one appears to have at least five of those funnel-shaped leaves making way for the flowers. I wonder how long those stalks will continue to grow before "giving up" on ever reaching the surface...? They look so funny, now. Maybe they're trying to receive radio signals from outer space ;) .

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello, Robby. Welcome!

My two E. cinereum plants gradually disintegrated and I tossed them. I had them in an unheated tank and for about 5-6 months they grew beautifully (although they never "budded" at all the way fishfry's did). Then they started putting out flower stalks. When this began, the plants stopped growing new leaves. They each put out about a dozen flower stalks and when they couldn't reach the surface of the water, they started to disintegrate. After it was clear to me that the plants were never going to recover, I uprooted and disposed of them :cry: .

I enjoyed them while I had them. They're very neat-looking!

-Naomi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts