Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey guys,

Mine are not really producing plants anymore and they have now adopted the growth form Naomi has with long thin leaves. Since I replanted my tank a lot have gone to flower as well. It actually looks pretty cool in my tank because there are about 9 of them blooming I have no idea why I got literally dozens of plants before and now I hardly get any, just flowers. I know some mild climate Eriocaulons are annual plants, but I have not verified that. On some of my plants with LOTS of flowers the leaves have started to die, but maybe the plant will come back or produce more new plantlets?? I wish I knew if the plant is going to die or not. I am considering putting some of my plants in a small aquarium with a low water level to see if I can get them to go to seed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yea, the rosette growing Eriocaulons are shallow water plants. Non-rosette Eriocaulons like E. setaceum produce the same type of pinhead flowers when they reach the water surface. Erioucaulon cinereum would be found growing in the mud of a rice pattie in the wild. I know in Asia it is not a problem if your Eriocaulon dies because most are cheap and easy to get, unfortunately not the case in the U.S.

If you can collect seeds do you just drop the seeds in water? I have never grown aquatic plants from seeds before, but I know people do with Elatine and such.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts