Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of you are from Cali. This being so, I was wondering if any of you take precautions to earthquake proof your tank and if you do, what those precautions may be.

I realize that in the event of something like the Northridge earthquake there is little you can do to prevent damage but what about smaller, less tumultuous quakes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: Earthquate Proofing

I live in Santa Cruz and don't do anything as far as earthquake proofing goes. If there is going to be a qauke then either it will wreck everything or it won't. I generally think there are more common and constant dangers from people, pets and things like that that you should worry about. Not the natural disaster stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I think doing a couple of basic things like attatching the stand to the wall either directly with screws or with "earthquake straps" and being sure to be plugged into a GFI outlet (in case of splashing) would be simple and could make a difference in a mild quake.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Northridge pretty much knocked me out of the hobby for years. I lost all my tanks and fish. The only tank that survived was a 10 gallon that had T. Dubosi fry -- the only reason it survived was it was on the floor.

Straps will definitely help. Lowering the tank's center of gravity will greatly reduce the chances of it tipping over.

Good luck... I hope this helped.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a trade off. Beautiful water and 75 year round in exchange for rampant wild fires, earthquakes and the occasional mud slide...no biggie...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts