Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an easy way to dose my PPS fertilizers tonight. I have been pouring into the cap of the bottle and kind of guesstimating how much I was adding. Thought about using some syringes but I don't have any laying around the apartment. What I do have laying around is a cheap plastic spray bottle for wal-mart.

Its just one of the cheap ones from the health and beauty section. The great thing about it is the fact it dispenses exactly 1ml with each spray. Three squirts and I'm done. I'll start using them tomorrow morning and give it a go for awhile to see if they become clogged over the long run.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd like to know how you know it sprays 1ml every time. In my experience with spray bottles in general they are not exact unless they specifically state they are calibrated to spray.dispense x amount per pump. I looked hard trying to find a bottle that did that but had no luck so ended up using an ear dropper.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sprayed the bottle into a graduated test tube from my test kit. Did it a bunch of times and it always came out to 1ml.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are 8oz bottles made by The Bottle Crew, upc 68333321266. You can find them with the travel sized toiletries in the hbc section at wal-mart. They come in a variety of colors but unfortunately there was only green when I went back for a second one. If I remember correctly the price was a whopping $.97 so if they do clog you can easily get a replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that I know of. The only thing that I read might happen is the plantex csm+b will eventually grow fungus. Using the spray bottle allows me to keep most of the stock solution in the fridge and only have a small amount left out.

If the ferts are photo degradable they do sell solid colored bottles.

Just remember that I forgot to dose this morning. I have other things on my mind right now like hurricane ike and my car that decided to break down.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Few drops of liquid fish fungus medication will preserve the solutions in room temperature even on bright location.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edward: Thanks for letting me know about the medication.
I also read that you can use hydrochloric acid but I have no idea where to get that in small quantities. That I know of its usually only sold in gallon size for pools.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you recommend a specific "liquid fish fungus medication" that you are using?
Is it safe for the live stock (fish and invertebrates)?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Usually I add 2 drops per litre of Tetra Madica Fungi Stop that happens to be sitting here for over 10 years now and it still works. So any clear liquid fungus medication will do just fine, example Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Fungus Cure Liquid.

The fungus cure amount in the fertilizer is so small and once you add it to the aquarium the affect just disappears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use pump bottle at $1 store. the one I went to don't have one so I get one of those quick dry hand anti-bacteria (have wife use it on kid till it empty) and clean it good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts