Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently sold some red cherry shrimp on eBay and the auction description listed them as:

You are bidding on 15 Red Cherry Shrimp plus 3 FREE in case of DOAs.
They will have some plants to hang onto during shipping!
They will range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp.
...etc...
When the buyer received the shrimp, they filed a dispute with PayPal claiming that there were no adult shrimp in the batch and that due to the wording of the auction, they were entitled to a refund.

The buyer claimed:

From Buyer - Jeff XXXX -- 9/25/2008 19:01 PDT said:
In auction seller quoted "They will range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp." Tin there was not one adult in the shipment nothing larger than 1/4 inch adults are 3/4 to1 inch
I've sold shrimp on this forum as well as eBay before, and I've always shipped out shrimp larger than 1/4". Most people know (and I informed the buyer) that smaller shrimp handle shipping and acclimation better and that's why they're shipped, rather than adults.

Have I always included adults in smaller shipments -- not always, just depends on what I can catch that day. I'm not saying that there was an adult in his shipment. There may or may not have been, but I'm 100% certain that every single one of those shrimp were larger than 1/4".

The money isn't the big deal, but rather the audacity of the guy to claim that there was "nothing larger than 1/4 inch" in the shipment. Claiming that I never sent any adult shrimp is one thing -- and I admit that if he claimed that, then he'd probably be entitled to a partial refund because of my wording on the auction description -- but claiming that there was nothing larger than 1/4"?

I wonder where the dispute is going to go now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Buyer protection policies are pretty strong, You should try fighting it, but the wording in your auction may make it difficult. I sell quite a bit on eBay and my dad used to make a full time job of it. One thing I learned from his experiences is to be rock solid on your wording, there are a lot of... less than honest folks out there who will try to take advantage of any little slip up like that. There are also plenty of less than honest sellers which is why the protection for the buyers is so strong.
I wish you luck, disputes are usually a long process and usually end in favor of the buyer.

By the way, you can save yourself a lot of trouble in the future by changing the wording from "They will range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp." to "They may range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp."

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've revised the auction terms for future auctions.

"Shrimp will be at least 1/4" inch in size."

I'm just pissed off he stated that "nothing larger than 1/4"" in his dispute to PayPal, which is a BLATANT lie.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff said:
I received these alive but they were
all very small the auction said there "They will range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp. "
Did I receive the wrong batch?

Jeff
epicfish said:
Hi there,

If you measure them from head to tail, they're all at least 1/4", or longer.

Thanks!
Jeff said:
Yes but there was no adults?

Jeff
epicfish said:
I try to ship larger, young shrimp. The reason I don't ship many adults is because they do not do as well during shipping. If one large adult dies, the decaying tissue releases a large amount of ammonia in the water, poisoning the rest of the shrimp, possibly causing the entire shipment to die.

Please refer to the site here: http://www.planetinverts.com/Why Ship Young Shrimp.html which explains it in more detail.

The auction stated they would be at least 1/4". Within two weeks, the juveniles will mature into adult shrimp.

Most of the shrimp I shipped are actually at breeding age and must molt before they're able to saddle up and carry eggs.

As long as the water quality is good (weekly to bi-weekly water changes) and there are adequate feedings, they should saddle within a week.

Thanks!
Jeff said:
My point is there were no adults which I was going
to put in my guppy tank. Then grow the rest out.
very miss leading auction. ery disappointed.

Jeff
...and then he filed the dispute.

I don't post PMs, but since no one had any clue who the buyer is and there is no personal identifying information, I think it should be OK.

And yes, I know I used a PlanetInverts article, let's not go there. It was the first Google link I found.

·
Registered
567 Posts
IMO, the guy should be happy with the shrimp he purchased. They were within the size range. The younger the better, because it is a longer lifespan for the purchaser! I know your wording specifically said, "1/4 to adults". Thats where it becomes a legal issue. Sorry this happened to you, but just watch what you write and say to people. These days its all about a quick buck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
You might want to offer him a partial refund to try and satisfy him, it will also make you look better in the eye's of ebay when they look at the dispute, if he refuses say a 15% refund then he looks like an ass that is trying to scam you. after all he got 3 more than he bought if they all arrived alive. Just make sure you make the offer through the dispute process to make sure ebay knows about it.

Brian

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
E-bay has made it very difficult for the legitimate sellers anymore, so there are a lot of people who are getting so fed up and just selling less, if at all.

IMO, your wording does not imply in any way that he'll be getting some adult shrimp, even though they would be within the range of possibilities.

The idea of offering a partial refund sounds to me like about your best option to keep your rep clear, and another one of those difficult buyers from causing too much trouble.

Sorry to hear of your difficutlies....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'd offer to ship him a few larger ones (for free), to prevent a neg. feedback - then never sell to him again.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From Buyer - Jeff said:
9/25/2008 19:01 PDT

In auction seller quoted "They will range from 1/4" juveniles to adult shrimp." Tin there was not one adult in the shipment nothing larger than 1/4 inch adults are 3/4 to1 inch
From Seller - epicfish said:
9/26/2008 10:47 PDT

Hello,

I completely understand your frustration. In order to resolve this issue amicably, I am offering a partial refund of 20% on your original purchase amount of $23, which I feel is fair.

Thank you.
From Buyer - Jeff said:
9/26/2008 15:09 PDT

What I really want is the adults I understad that there would be small ones.

I got all small ones basicaly they will get eaten in my tank. Your auction is very missleading.
From Seller - epicfish said:
9/26/2008 15:26 PDT

I can ship you 4 full-sized adults for the price of shipping, which is $6. Please note that I cannot guarantee live arrival if I am going to ship these adult shrimp.

Thanks.
We'll see.

If he pushes the issue, I'll offer him a full refund if he ships me back the shrimp and they're still alive.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is more annoying than anything. :crazy: :frusty:

Jeff said:
# 9/26/2008 16:07 PDT - Buyer: I'm just disapointed $23 and all I got was fish food for my guppies.
:-|

Jeff has escalated this dispute to a claim...
:jaw:

Sure, I admit it, the wording could have been construed in a way different than how I originally intended. I offered him a 20% partial refund, no go. I offered to ship him more adults for shipping, no go.

Next thing I know, I'll need to put a lawyer on retainer to draft my eBay auctions for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dude I am sorry to hear this. I have bought RCS from you twice and I was always pleased.

I would stay away from ebay.

I only buy filter pads on ebay for my ehiems. I have a seller that is awesome. Other than that, not worth the risk. Sorry you got screwed. The seller always gets screwed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you should just fight dirty with dirty. Challenge him on the definition of adult. Request pictures with the shrimp next to a straight edge. If he can prove your shrimps are smaller than 1/4", then say the 1/4" includes the tentacles. I know it sounds lame, but I think he is just unhappy that the shrimps got eaten.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i really hope karma exists...
You and I both!

Thanks fshfanatic, modster, and everyone who's commented. I'm just waiting it out. It's not the money, but the principle. (Do such things exist anymore? -- at least on these forums they do!)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Epicfish,

I think that you need to find out a standard way of dealing with issues like that. I've been selling fish on the net for a few months now and no matter what you do you will find that some customers have special needs.

Overall you need to strive to have a good reputation. You can't avoid a few negative situations. But if you look at it in a perspective maybe you will see that there are more than 10 good happy customers (or even more) for every 1 that is not completely satisfied. Looking at things that way helps a lot.

I agree - the money, the refund, is not everything.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm not surprised by your ebay experience. I've noticed since they changed the feedback rules buyers complain about the smallest of things, which seems to be the issue in your case. Good luck!
That's exactly right, and it's so unfair. If you've ever read the discussion boards at E-bay, people are really ticked of at their new policies, with good reason.

I've already been stung once since the change (non-paying buyer that forced me to file a lousy dispute) and they just get off with a free ride and an untarnished rep.... #-o

I hope this all works out for you in the end. If he does leave you negative feedback, you can at least post a reply to it so other buyers will know he's one of those trouble makers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't see what you did wrong. You specified a range and as long as the shrimp were at least 1/4" long you have nothing to worry about. Plus, it was a good point when someone already mentioned that an adult is not necessarily full grown. RCS are adults (at least males) when they are roughly a half inch. They are capable of breeding at this size and if they are capable of reproduction, they are adults right? Inform him that you actually did him a favor by sending him "young adults" so that he will get the most breeding cycles out of all of them. Do not refund him one penny and offer to send him adults only if he pays for them and pays the shipping. I don't know what your shrimp look like but I'd charge him at least $2 per full size adult, more for females.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Thats why I absolutely hate selling on EBAY or Aquabid. There are many people out there that will just nitpick you to death, and then leave you negative feedback. After years and years of not getting one single negative feedback on aquabid I suddenly get three negatives in a period of a few months last year over stupid things.... like my variegated Anubias was a "class 4 variegation instead of a class one variegation" or some stupid nonsense... so what does he say in the feedback? "misleading, not as advertised, dishonest, stay away from this seller"

As far as plants go, hobbyits seem to be staying away from the auctions now and sticking to the forums like this one to sell their plants. Its just the auction "stores" selling plants there now, and they are starting to disappear too.

In the forums its more intimate and everybody knows everybody, (more or less) so people aren't so nitpicky on either side, and keep their complaints to themselves, even the more serious complaints.

You can't avoid a few negative situations. But if you look at it in a perspective maybe you will see that there are more than 10 good happy customers (or even more) for every 1 that is not completely satisfied. Looking at things that way helps a lot.
Wow, you finally understand Niko. I've been saying that for years.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I'm late to the party, but, my two cents: The ad copy was accurate. You offered shrimp that might range from all 1/4" to all full size adults. The latter would be a bad deal unless they produced babies real quickly, but the former would be more likely to survive shipping and introduction to the new tank, and would live longer, producing more offspring. I bought some red cherry shrimp from someone here, as I recall, and it was a mix of sizes, with mostly smaller ones. I was neither disappointed nor delighted - it was fine with me whatever sizes they were because of the good price, the difficulty, as I saw it, of getting them to me still alive, and my lack of enough knowledge to know which would be best for me. I dumped all of them in a guppy tank, and before long had over 100 shrimp, always with very tiny ones in the tank. I doubt that this guy's guppies ate all of his, unless he had no plants in the tank for them to hide in.

Ebay is getting to be no fun for me as a buyer, just to look at the other side. My last two purchases were with sellers who refused to acknowledge my emails, one seller even refused to say what the shipping cost would be, so I finally just ignored the whole transaction. The other, most recent, advertised quick shipping - "it will arrive before you even know it"- was shipping from my state, and I had to pay for 3 day UPS shipping. It took 10 days to receive and no response to 2 emails until after I received it. I very rarely give anyone negative ratings, if I ever have, so I just don't rate transactions like that.

Todays SPECIAL was a penny a paragraph!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts