Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched every where on how to upgrade my Eclipse 3 hood to give out more light on the cheap..

I saw the retro fit kits but they were not cheap.

AHsupply kit was not too exspesive $45 plus shipping

then i found ODNA (over driven Normal Output)
http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Overdriven-Normal-Output-ODNO/18/

So I went to Home Depot and bought a Sylvania Ballast for $15 and some new fangled push connectors $2, and a three prong power plug $9.

Now out of my eclipse Hood I should be getting some were around 70 watts or a little less, on a 29 gal tank.

This is my first plant tank so 2 wpg should a great starting point.

Just need to find some good cheap 24" bulbs to put in, since the ones in now are pretty old and turning black on the ends.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OMGsh. Mind putting up pics on how u did it and so on?? I have the SAME TANK and im so confused on how to upgrade the lighting.. u know how they gave us some crap 2x15 watts for 29 gallons, around 1wpg.. sucky for planted, so if u could post up pics, would be great!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure thing..

basically take it apart, unwire the old set up and wire in the new ballast..

I also added some vents since it will get hotter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
THANKS man, never thought it would of been so easy, mind sending me the link for where you found the info? Appreciated much ~EDIT~ WOOPS, sorry bout that, didn't see ur link :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Remember to put up some pics of ur new lighting fixture so i can see! ;) And i know i sound stupid right now asking so many questions, but, Last one, Will the same concept work with my 18"? Cuz i just measured my lighting, and the current ballast is 18".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The link is in the original post, look up

fixture looks exactly the same as it did before the upgrade except for the two extra holes in the lid.

I cut the original ballast off and connected the new ballast to the end of the cord and from the other end of the ballast connected to a grounded AC plug.

Should work fine in the 18" if you want to fit the ballast in the hood it would depend on which one you get.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hm, well, im going out to look for the things today. I live in Toronto, So i got some Canadian Tires / Home Depots near me and I was wondering if I use the same bulb, or a different bulb once I switch the ballasts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as I know the same bulb should be fine.. but I am just getting into this hobby...

I switched bulbs since the ones I had where old..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, we'll I just took out my plastic thing(White opaque hood or w.e under light) and there wasn't a ballast? There were only 2 little shiny:rolleyes: things in the middle, would those be the magnetic ballasts? And where did u put the new ballast? Just in the hood? Cuz I don't think it'll fit in mine o_O:|

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the old ballast is at the end of the cord... its the square box that looks like a transformer..

pretty much where I put mine..

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, Well, i went to Home Depot, turns out that they didn't carry electric ballasts? You can't use magnetic ballasts for OD right? Btw, is your ballast a F32T8?

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts