Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Eclipse 37 gallon tank with the hood that has a built in filter and lights. The lights that come with the tank is only two 18 watts bulb, which is pretty low.

I don't have a definite plan for the tank yet but I know I want to be able to grow a carpet plant like HC. Do you think that is enough light? If not is there anything I can do to give it more light?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything I can do to get more light into the tank. I would like to keep the hood setup the same if I can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might get rid of the Eclipse hood that it came with and go with some other type of lighting and filter. Does anyone have any recommendations for a filter and lights?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
... Does anyone have any recommendations for a filter and lights?
36W over 37gal definitely will not grow carpet type plants - it won't grow much of anything. I also recommend the ahs retrofits. If you can find one which will work with the hood/strip your tank came with it would save you a little $, perhaps. I would estimate you'd need in the neighborhood of 80-100W with good reflectors, if you want to carpet in there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
36W over 37gal definitely will not grow carpet type plants - it won't grow much of anything. I also recommend the ahs retrofits. If you can find one which will work with the hood/strip your tank came with it would save you a little $, perhaps. I would estimate you'd need in the neighborhood of 80-100W with good reflectors, if you want to carpet in there.
I checked out AHS and noticed that they have a 2x55 kit. I was thinking about getting that one cause that would bring me to about 110watts. Does anyone have experience with retrofitting a Eclipse 37g hood?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Kim at AHS is a great guy to talk with. He'll honestly answer if you can do what you want, with what you have. I'd give him a call and see what he says. Back when I retrofitted a couple of strips, I called him multiple times and he always was helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Man,
I did a retro using the GLO T5 HO. For bulbs I'm using Currents, 14W 10,000k Daylight and the High Output (pink). My Guy at the store said there'd be plenty of light, he was right. I was able to keep the fixture and light cover by doing a little modification. I'm now building a new light for my 20g using the lamp from the Eclipse. If you need to know how, I can help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kim at AHS is a great guy to talk with. He'll honestly answer if you can do what you want, with what you have. I'd give him a call and see what he says. Back when I retrofitted a couple of strips, I called him multiple times and he always was helpful.
I sent a email to Kim at AHS and i got this reply:

Hi Thai,

We have no Kits specifically designed for Eclipse retrofits nor do we make any recommendations in this regard. We have looked at retrofitting Eclipse hoods but there always are two unresolved issues, 1)how to adequately protect the retrofitted lights from moisture, and, 2) the ability of the ABS plastic in those hoods to withstand the heat of additional wattage. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

I was asking about getting the 2x55w kit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Man,
I did a retro using the GLO T5 HO. For bulbs I'm using Currents, 14W 10,000k Daylight and the High Output (pink). My Guy at the store said there'd be plenty of light, he was right. I was able to keep the fixture and light cover by doing a little modification. I'm now building a new light for my 20g using the lamp from the Eclipse. If you need to know how, I can help.
So you have only 28 watts (14x2) for 37 gallons? Are you able to get carpet plants like HC to grow? That is what I am really hoping to do with this setup. I would love to know how you did it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Both lamps together are 38w total. Looking at them though you wouldn't think it.
Check out the lamps at CURRENT-USA.com. I have the Slimpaq Extreme HO T5 24W and the Slimpaq 14w 10,000k Daylight. It's like the my man at the store said, don't let the wattage fool you.
Haven't tried the HC but I am doing Dwarf Hairgrass and it's doing fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did a retro kit. It's a GLO T5 HO ($51.99, $17 and $13 for the lamps). Had to remove the guts from the Eclipse, clip out one vent from each side of the original lamp base in order to get the new connectors in for the T5's. It's really pretty simple to do, screwdriver, razor knife and a pair of pliers, that's it. By taking out one vent from each side you can slide the new end caps in place. The only other thing is attaching the horse shoe clips for holding the whole set up in place. The new fixture can do from a 2x24w up to 2x39w.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you happen to have a link to the GLO T5 setup you bought? Sound like something I would want to do. Do you have pics of how your setup looks?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Thai,
On the box it says www.hagen.com. The little place where I by most of my stuff had it in stock, I just had to order the lamps. I did see the GLO T5 HO at one of the large pet stores. I'll try to get some pics of my set up for you. Mind you my tank is still in progress. Maybe I can post them later on today.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may want to check out the DIY forum for some ideas on retrofitting. Here is mine on my 38 gallon. This isn't an eclipse hood, but it may give you some ideas:

Before

After

The guts

Same on the outside except for fan holes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's see if I can do this....Like I said, it's a tank in the making. The plants I keep adding. I'm waiting on a shipment, hopefully today. The moss will probably go in place of some other kind.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PRJCT92EH2 thanks for the ideas. What kind of lights and ballast are you using? Do you have to put something to block the lights from moisture?

GaCat - Your tank is looking good :D How are the plants growing with the lighting setup? I will look and see if I can find the GLO setup that you are using. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts