Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Duky, I think your sequence of setup is a little bit different from how I would do it. First I would test the water of your tap. Depending on the hardness and ph, it helps you to narrow down the more suitable plants to have. It's hard to change the water to the plants' preference than the other way around. When you say harsh condition, I hope you don't imply low-tech. Because with a little water movement, good lighting and stable temperature with a heater, there is nothing harsh about low-tech. I would put the plants in right away before putting in the water and top layer as it makes the whole planting process so much easier and you don't have to disturb tho soil while planting. Since you have a lot of branches, I would have a few non-rooted plants as well such as java fern, moss etc attached along the wood surface using cotton threads. The thread will decompose in a couple month and by that time, your plant will be beautifully attached to the wood. Suggest some grass like plants in the foreground and some rooted mid ground plants in the back since it's only 10 gallon. Forget DIY CO2. You are set.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks very nice. You have fairly neutral PH. The water is a little soft. Your ammonia level is high. Normally with planted aquarium you don't have any trace. I've never seen level other than 0 or near 0. I would not put any more fish in there until this clears up. You need to do water change once every few days to clear the ammonia. It should help with the clarity of the water which maybe contain bacterial bloom maybe algae or because it's new aquarium dust etc. The NO3 or nitrate is fine. Is your ph stable throughout the day since you have a fairly soft water, it should fluctuate more through out the day than harder water. I would put a heater. The heater allows the aquarium to maintain a more constant temperature. In nature, the infinitely large volume of water do not fluctuate on daily basis which will stress the fish and plant. Also it is winter now and you should know these plants you have are tropical plants, in general the higher the temperature the faster it grows. Of course don't exceed the comfortable range on the thermometer. I don't have pump in my 10 gallon in the past but now have it. I think a little current is good and helps to move nutrients and maintain even water temperature but go without it for now should be fine. But consider charcoal to remove any initial bad trace elements etc from the water. Never know what's in the soil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.