Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
dukydaf,
I have had a 10g NPT up and running now for about 2 years. No heater. In the winter my tanks temps range from 64F to 68F. (we keep our house cool)
I keep male guppies, oto's, snails and cherry shrimp in there along with java fern, crypts, vals, swords, hairgrass and microswords.

Only a small fountain pump for water movement.
Everything is thriving, the shrimp breed like crazy. Nothing seems to be deterred by the low temps.
Nice tank! I'm impressed.

[You've inspired me to maybe get some Cherry Shrimp for my little flat 1 gal bowl at work. It has no heater or water circulation.]

As to your new setup, I would definitely change the water to remove the initial cloudiness. All those microscopic soil particles will settle on the leaves. This will start a biofilm of microorganisms growing on the upper surface of the leaves. Not a good way to start....

Even though this is an NPT, remember that you may have to do a little water changing and fiddling the first few months until it gets established.

In any case, you've already seen what you can do. Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.