Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Also posted in Greets Section w/ 'Me' Info*
I've recently restarted my 29 gal tank as a bit of an exercise to get back into the swing of things before I take on retrofitting my oceanic 110 to be a fully operational and viable planted tank. The tank is showing some new tank woes after cycling and has minor algae in the form of diatoms and a little thread algae in the bushier plants. But anyway, here she goes...

Equipment:

29 Gal. tank
H.O.T. Magnum canister filter
Coralife CF fixture with 55w 6700K bulb
Generic Fixture w/ 20w T-8 Flora-Glo bulb
DIY CO2 w/ Powerhead Diffuser
Eco-Complete Black Substrate
Rock and Driftwood Hardscape

Flora

Anubias Nana Narrow Leaf
Anubias Nana Petite
Crypt. Wendtii Red
Egeri Najas
Fissidens
Hygrophila Difformis
Java Moss
Narrow-Leaf Chain Sword
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Red Temple
Rotala
Ricca Fluitans
Unknown Vallisneria (I forgot)

Fauna

Panda Corys
Ottos
Blue Rams
Black Neon Tetras
Kuhli Loaches

Hardscape(w/ plastic plants for fish comfort)

Just after first Planting

+1 Week
Some plants are taking off very well, and others are still getting settled. The chain sword is working on getting some good root structure after removal from the pot. The Red Temple in the back is still trying to straighten out which way it is heading, when I got it, the shoots were heading every direction. If it doesn't pan out I may replace it with something and grow it out in another tank til it is in good enough condition to put in. The little ricca patch is being eaten more than growing, and I've been thinking about putting a red lotus that I have in another tank in its place. Waiting to do any other foreground until things start to fill in. And finally, the Val in the back (behind the center wood piece) is barely growing for itself, I'm not sure what I will do yet as an alternative, possibly some crypt balansae. Overall I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello there. Plants looking good and healthy. Seems they have adopted well.
A piece of advice with hardscape if you allow me. I would move right big stone bit closer to centre and another one, which lies horizontally. Big driftwood piece could stay at the same line with that rock - creating a strong focal point. Also, if possible I would add some little pieces of stones - if you have left any. That will adds balance as well.
Keep us updated.
Regards, Ilia.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'll consider moving that rock on the right inwards a bit, I had been thinking about that myself. The scape on the left however is going to stay as is, mostly because there are actually 2 pieces of rock that are more or less holding the wood in place and you wouldn't want to know how long it took to get them to sit like they are! Haha! The whole picture of things isn't done yet, I'm still tinkering with ideas as far as how I want the foreground to progress. The now basically non-existent bunch of ricca I had will be replaced with a red lotus I'm going to pick up from my old tank at my parents house, and I will continue to develop the foreground hopefully in the next week or so once the more frontal plants show me a real direction they are taking as far as growth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update after a few small projects yesterday...

Changed out the filter media from a bit of granular peat, ammo-chips, and carbon for only mechanical filtration and ceramic bio-media and bio-cultured rock. The tank as almost fully settled in at 6.8 PH, 75ppm GH, 80ppm KH, .5ppm Nitrite, and 10ppm Nitrate. The plants also have been sucking down whatever they can take in, and dosing is becoming more and more necessary.

Swapped out the disappearing Ricca for a Red Lotus(Nymphaea rubra). I will be trimming it to stay short once it starts kicking out more shoots.

Modified the return from the H.O.T. Magnum into a spraybar for some less violent current-flow through the tank. The Tetras love the more consistent and broad stream too.

And the Cory cleanup squad, minus one rogue off somewhere, going nuts...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's already done actually. I did a black vinyl background, the kind applied like window tint. I was just waiting for it to come in from back order, then waiting for time to put it up, now just waiting for time to get some decent pics up! Defiantly this week sometime.

I did a bit of a rescape, and will be doing a bit more very soon. The Red Temple is gone as it just was not working out and was replaced with Bacopa. The Chain Sword has been trimmed up and replanted as shoots were going in the very wrong direction. I also have some Hornwort, Didiplis diandra, Asian ambulia, and Glosso that should be here this week-ish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE TIME!!!

First of all I added the black background to get the equipment out of sight and out of mind(for the most part). It was the vinyl type, applied like any car vinyl or window tint, which I was very familiar with.

I also did a bit of swapping and rearranging with a few plants that weren't cooperating very well. The Red Temple that was on the left was replaced with Bacopa Carolinia, the hygro was taken out and had the bottoms trimmed and was replanted since the major root structure was growing about 3 inches up, and the chain sword was removed, trimmed and realigned as it was finally settling in, but growing in the very wrong direction. I added some Asian Ambulia and Didiplis Diandra to the left just behind the crypt. Finally, I placed some Glosso to the foreground on the left and just to the right of center. I also put a few in with the chain sword to break up the boundaries a bit on that side.

FTS

Lower Left Glosso

Lower Right side - Glosso patch and randoms in swords, also the improving Lotus!!!

Bacopa, Ambulia and DD freshly planted

I will be doing a small trim tomorrow, obviously of the right side of the tank. I am also converting to PPS-Pro Ferts and installing my pressurized CO2 this week, so I'm more than excited! I'm feeling more and more confident about it all every day!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I was actually just going through my FT shots from each time I took pics and was really happy with the progression. I just hope I can get something to work out on the left side there! I forgot to mention that I took some healthier shoots from the Red Temple and placed half a dozen or so in small groups in different areas of the tank. With any luck I may get some surprise flicks of color and growth!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hope your glosso is growing well. Remember how I pulled mine out and replanted into my 55 gallon? Well it's growing like crazy and I am pulling it out again! Wayy too much for my 55 now.

Great progress on your tank though!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...

The Glosso is starting to get settled in, old leaves are dying off but new growth is coming in strong and is well rooted, nothing came up in the last week or so!

Unfortunately, I have one of those freak times where both the plants and algae are growing equally well, and I can only attribute it to my own doings. I switched to PPS Pro, which I am loving thus far, and got my pressurized CO2 running. A day or two later I started out doing a minor trim, mainly of the Rotala and some outreaching of my swords into my newly established Glosso spread. This then exposed some Egeri Najas that was just plainly coming up from the substrate which I replaced with some Hornwort. I also planted some more robust Didiplis Diandra on the left side next to the Ambulia. The combination of the trim, and the disturbance of the substrate left so much extra in the water column I should have known better...

Diatoms, Green Dust, Thread, and Staghorn, all in minor amounts have speckled themselves about the tank in various areas. Fortunately most stayed to the rocks and driftwood on the higher levels, and a bit on the older, more lit edges of my Anubias. Water changes and minor overdosing of excel has helped and the tank is seemingly already in recovery.

On another more exciting front! I am building a stand and hood! I am using pine plywood which looks great IMO, and will try to remember to take some pics when I get back to it. I ran into a bit of a snag using the blueprint calculator at fishandtips.com. Their dimensions don't take into account that a commercial 2x2 is not 2" wide, so I had to rework alot of math. I'm hoping to finish it this next weekend. The hood will be inspired by Helgymatt's 55 gal hood, and a T5-HO setup will go in as well to raise the WPG a bit (from 2.8-ish to 3.3) and to cleanup the clutter that is on top right now.

I will post pictures in the next few days once I get some snaps of the in-progress stand/hood, and the tank has stabilized as more plant happy!

·
Registered
384 Posts
looking good. I am intrested in how you are gonna build your stand. I have a 29 gallon and im also gonan start building a stand in a couple months so im gonnawatch this thread. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts