Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my 55 gallon aquarium a month ago. Plants were okay. Fish were happy. Everything seemed calm, quiet and fine until yesterday when I inspected the Ehiem 2213 filter which is housed in a cabinet underneath the aquarium. I noticed that the outlet hose was "kinked". So I repostioned the filter so that the hose wasn't "kinked" anymore. This caused a higher pressure of water moving in such a fashion that it almost creates a whirlpool. Fish food no longer stays calmly in one place but is circulated around the tank. The Ehiem instructions shows placing the outlet tube in the sides of the tank. It was too long to place there and I didn't want to cut it as suggested by the instructions so I placed it on the longer back side of the tank. What do you think? I wish there was a faucet to adjust the rate of water flow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think it is too powerful. I had a 2213 on my 2ft tank, it just hold 54 litres of water and it is working fine for me so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that it is working fine---maybe too fine. My tank is 48L X13W X 20D. I took the spray bar off the back 48L today, removed it from the Eheim tubing and relocated the inlet tube to the 13W side without the spray bar attached. The spray bar acts like a sweeper nozzle on a garden hose (if you know what I mean) and increases the velocity of the water. This seems to quiet the turbulence down a bit for now. I might try attaching the spray bar again at a later date but I am tried fooling with it for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts