Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies I have had a small outbreak of GSA recently.

The tank is a 34 gallon with DIY light fixture made of 6500K screw in CFL's on for 8 hours and Pressurized CO2 injection 18 hours a day = constant 30ppm.

You can see it here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/journals/51372-logan-s-daddy-s-34-gallon.html

Nitrates have always been a little high so to maintain around 20 ppm I've cut the KNO3 dosing to half the "suggested" amount. I've also always had some problem with GSA on the older leaves and at this point I dose twice the "recommended" KH2PO4. This has been working for some time, but recently I've noticed a LOT of gsa on the leaves near the surface.

The leaves in the photo are only about a week old, also, it has almost completely covered most of my Ludwiga Glandulosa, even the new growth.

I'm really not sure what's causing it, Should I crank up the CO2? Add even more KH2PO4? Replace the Lightbulbs?

HELP!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Hoppy!
I always appreciate getting responses from you as your replies are generally no nonsense with accurate information backing them up.

As you can see in my signature pic my plant load is quite high ;) - do you think I should slightly increase all of the nutrients (above Tom's Baselines) to compensate?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently running 5 23W CFL's - you can see the setup in my signature thread, 115 total watts over a 34 gallon tank would be about 3.3 wpg, BUT, I lose a lot of light to restrike due to the design of the bulbs, I estimate they are about 60 - 70 percent as efficient as a T-5 setup with the same wattage, giving me an effective 2-2.5 WPG.

This is the same setup that I've run for over a year with no issues until the last few weeks.

Do you think it could be the fact that the bulbs are getting old?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.