Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've looking around and not much info is out there regarding planted saltwater tanks. My high-tech salt water guru here at work says that they use the plants in their refigium to keep the water clean but not directly in the tank. It seems with the salt water guys, it's all about the corals. One of the issues, he says is that most of the fish would decimate the plants. But I'm thinking this same issue with freshwater.

The other thought I had was that perhaps there are not that many interesting choices for salt water? I'm not too fussed by that, as long as I could get 2 or 3 types of plants.

Then I started thinking about substrate, it seems most of these plants pull nutrients from the water as they are normally floating or rooted in sand. So, I'd just need a deep sand bed to get some anaerobic action going. Cool with me, here as I've always liked the look of sand beds.

Then comes the question of lighting, I'm hoping there are some hearty low light plants available.

Critters: I'm not fussy, the basic clown fish is exotic to me, along with some hermit crabs and shrimp. I'll be a happy guy.

But the big question is, how low tech could I keep this? Is it possible to have a small volume of water (5-10 gallons) without filtration, protein skimmer and all that with a saltwater tank? Could I get away with the same set up on my el natural: heater, lighting, propeller pump?

Thoughts? Know of anyone that has done this? Are there forums for this type of set up?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links, guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts