Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not so much new to the hobby, but an uncommon plant in aquariums.

Related to Elatine triandra (aka APP), a popular plant with aquarists in asia.

I have got this plant growing in a 28 litre (~7 gallon) nano tank with 9 watts of PC lighting.

The substrate is Seachem Onyx Sand, fertilisation is 1 ml of Flourish twice weekly, plus Flourish Excel for carbon. I add 0.5 ml of Flourish Nitrogen after a water change - E. triandra supposedly likes nitrogen so I thought I'd better add some.

Although its condition could be better, at 1.5 watts per gallon in such a small tank this has suprised me! Even at this light level it creeps along the substrate, sending out lateral shoots.

I think that E. gratioloides could be used as a low-light foreground plant with great success at 2wpg.

I plan on upgrading the lighting to perhaps 18 watts PC, at this level I will add DIY CO2 and further water column fertilisation.

The photo is taken from directly above.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can't tell it apart from E. triandra from the picture. I am using E. triandra as low light ground cover as well. My tank has 3wpg, no CO2, but the E. triandra is completely shaded by other plants, yet it still creeps along the substrate.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some months back, I think a few of us discovered that unlike most other foreground plants, E. triandra seems to creep more with LESS CO2, and grows vertically with MORE CO2. Sha, this seems consistent with yours, too. So I think with higher CO2 levels, it wouldn't actually make a very good groundcover, so much as a mid-ground plant. When I replanted mine without Jobe's spikes, it completely died. Definitely a nitrate-guzzler.

From the photo, this plant looks virtually identical to E. triandra. Locus, do you see any seed pods at the nodes?

-Naomi

·
Registered
51 Posts
why it is called APP

Just some background info,

E. triandra is also called APP(Ah Pek's Plant). This name came about after some hobbyists in Singapore bought this plant from a plant farm, and not knowing its scientific name then, called it "Uncle's/This Old man's Plant" , uncle/this old man being the person person they bought it from (the word ah pek is a Chinese dialect, Hokkien)

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Naomi, E. triandra did also creep in my tank with CO2, but the growth rate is SO much faster that it became a big/high pile very soon. When I let NO3 dropped to 0 in non-CO2 tank, it was yellowish and greened up nicely after I added NO3.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gnome said:
From the photo, this plant looks virtually identical to E. triandra. Locus, do you see any seed pods at the nodes?
I sure do! It likes to sprout little shoots from the nodes too... and I've seen a tiny sprout of this coming up elsewhere in the tank - perhaps from a seed pod?

I'm going to be moving some of my Elatine to a 9 gallon tank with 36w PC lighting hopefully this week to grow it out, I should be able to get some better photos then.

·
Registered
493 Posts
could u tell the difference between this species to the e.triandra?
i have e.t and it looks the same as the plant in the photo :???:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried Elatine minima in the aquarium yet. It seems to be distributed fairly well in the northeastern US...maybe we should organize a hunt :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts