Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eleocharis sp?

Hi guys!,
Can somebody tell me the difference between Eleocharis sp parvula "Japanese hairgrass" and Eleocharis belem??

The leaves tend to curl downwards on both species, just wondering if there was an obvious difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Re: Eleocharis sp?

E. parvula is common in my area and I've not seen the leaves curl downwards when grown submersed. They always look erect to me. I've never grown 'belem'.

-Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Eleocharis sp?

From my understanding, there is Eleocharis parvula "Japanese hairgrass", grows short and leaves tend to curl downwards.

Eleocharis parvula "Dwarf hairgrass", also grows short like the "Japanese hairgrass" but the leaves remain erect.

Now, Eleocharis belem is new to me and only heard about this plant a couple weeks ago.
Never had the chance to grow it yet and compare.
We are a bit slow with new/introduced exotic plants in Australia, I hope we can get some available soon.:)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm going to make a trade for an Eleocharis belem from a fellow member (from another forum) for my Eleocharis japan... When we swapped pictures, I saw his eleocharis belem is very similar to my eleocharis japan (japanes hairgrass)... So now I'm confused with the difference between the two... Is it the same plant sp. but just called/named differently? I need some enlightenment and would like to know if I really have eleocharis japan... Here's a pic:

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mod, thanks for moving/adding the thread to an exisitng!

So, They are both completely different sp.??? Hope someone who has/had Eleocharis belem could chime in and prolly post a photo as well for comparison...

·
Administrator
7,409 Posts
I don't think anyone knows, and there's no way to know without fertile specimens to examine (with tiny inflorescences called spikes). There is no reliable way to differentiate them reliably by only vegetative means as far as I know.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I know you say that tongue in cheek, but if anyone would like to grow either or both of them emersed to get the fertile material we need, by all means have at it. The same applies to other plants of unknown or dubious identity. I can help with the rest.
Thanks Cavan... As far as growing the Eleocharis Japan emersed, I think I might know someone who has it... I'll ask him if he already got it flowered and if he has photos of it... Though hope someone is growing Eleocharis belem emersed so we can ID and solve the mystery between the 2...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I think, but I'm not 100% procent sure but I think tom barr over on plantedtank.net said he had some hairgrass belem and posted photos.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think, but I'm not 100% procent sure but I think tom barr over on plantedtank.net said he had some hairgrass belem and posted photos.
I think I saw that thread over at tpt, thanks for the heads up... Though the description of their difference is also based on their submersed form... Like Cavan mentioned, we could really tell the difference if we have them flowered emersed... I might get some specimen (trade) of the belem in the next week or so, I'll try to grow some emersed as well as my japan...

Totally forgot to update about acquiring an emersed flower of the japan... Well, according to a friend, whom I got the japan from, he never saw his emersed japan flower for almost a year or two (I think) now... We even tried scouring through the mini jungle japan bush from our last plant club meeting and nada... Well I think I'm gonna update again once we get the japan flower... Any tips how to speed up the porcess??? :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, this is a cool thread. I really like these hairgrasses in my tank. Reading these posts takes me back to my Local Flora class in college.

I tried looking up Eleocharis belem and Japanese Hairgrass in plant taxonomy databases, I was able to find the genus but not the species. This makes me wonder if Eleocharis belem is officially recognize? If anyone manage to get spikes of these plants under a dissectoscope, please be sure to take some pictures! :wave:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts