Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thx, interesting. Whatever species these hairgrasses might be botanically, good to know that they are different, and one can hope that they are not mixed up in the trade, as the different height is important for the use in aquascaping.

Just to be settled if "Belem" and "Japan" are different or not - at least the submerged look under same conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is driving me nuts.:rolleyes: I've grown this submersed, emersed, with co2 and without.
I just did a "plant profiles" thread over at the SFBAAPS on Eleocharis "Belem"

Here is a cut'n'paste from that thread:

Okay, well, I didn't see a catagory for my favorite low maintenance foreground plant, so I'm creating one.
Not much, if anything, is known about the origins of this low-growing dwarf hairgrass. I don't think anyone knows the actual species name, either. I do know that the grass we have circulating throughtout the SFBAAPS (and maybe in greater arenas now) originally came from Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco. Years ago, AFA was selling this haigrass at $20 per quarter-sized pinch. I wouldn't be suprised if they were one of the original importers of this variety.

Growth Characteristics:

Phase I

Initially fills in and stays low <2"

Phase II

when it runs out of room, and after multiple trimmings, it starts growing on top of itself. Max height 2-3"

Grown emersed:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just rescaped my 60P a day before I took this picture. Removed some stems and gave the E. "Belem" more real estate:

A little background on how I came upon this plant...

Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco (one of the two ADA distributors in the USA) was selling this plant by the pinch (about a 2.5 cm portion size) about 3 or 4 years ago. They had some of this growing in one of their show tanks. A few of the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society members bought some from AFA and grew it out, and I was lucky enough to aquire some a year of so later.

That's when I became obsessed with it.

According to a senior member at the SFBAAPS, people used to refer to this as just "Japanese Hair Grass." Then somewhere along the way, the name "belem" started to be used.

It's a freakin mystery...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Beautiful lawn! It looks exactly like the stuff that's sold as "Eleocharis parvula" in Europe (e.g. Tropica), max. height also about ca. 2-3" in dense older stand.

@Vadim: So Your Eleocharis "Belem" remains only 2 cm / ca. 1 inch also in "phase II", when got dense, in contrast to Matt F.'s "Belem"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I got my initial portions of "E. Belem" from the members at SFBAAPS, they leaves were very short, very curly, and compact. No more than 1" in height (2.5cm). I guess with a high CO2/EI enviroment, the plant changes a bit to what you see in my pictures. Maybe it has to do with light level, too. IDK.

Both forms of this plant were grown on amazonia aquasoil.

The plant came from one source, which stayed <2.5cm. I saw the tank they harvested from.

I think this plant can look different in different tanks, but generally does not grow more than about 7.5cm (2.5") tall in high CO2, medium light, and EI.

Another reason for the height increase in (what I call) phase 2 is the plant starts growing ontop of itself. It gets really thick.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Eleocharis sp. 'mini' has even lower growth than the common Eleocharis parvula and was given to Tropica by Thomas Barr from US. Plant the mini-version in small portions covering a larger area. In short time, a dense carpet will be obtained. Needs light to perform optimal, however, it is one of the most secure species for craeting a carpet - and a minimum of maintenance since leaves stays small (3-5 cm). Suitable for nano-aquariums.

The cosmopolitan Eleocharis parvula has short leaves and fast growth making it one of the most impressive carpet-forming foreground plants, 3-10 cm tall depending on light conditions. It spreads rapidly by runners. It is a relatively easy and undemanding plant that does best with good light and a nutritious substrate. Can be planted in small portions in the substrate and can form a dense carpet in a matter of weeks given the right lighting and conditions. When the leaves get too long they can be pruned with scissors to about 2cm height, encouraging new growth.
http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-list-a-z.aspx

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hello Matt,
When I got my initial portions of "E. Belem" from the members at SFBAAPS, they leaves were very short, very curly, and compact. No more than 1" in height (2.5cm). I guess with a high CO2/EI enviroment, the plant changes a bit to what you see in my pictures. Maybe it has to do with light level, too. IDK.
Assumed that:
Vadim S said:
height of the Belem about 2 cm
, it's possible that Your "Belem" is different from Vadim's "Belem", but identical to Tropica's "E. parvula".
But because the height of the hairgrasses is so dependent on conditions, age and crowd, as You've shown, I believe it's doubtful that there are really constant differences between these rather short curled hairgrasses as long as they are not compared under equal conditions for a longer time. Also regarding Tropica's Eleocharis sp. 'Mini' (again a new trade name for a hairgrass...:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my "belem" or "Japanese Hairgrass" grow emersed for over a year. it has never flowered despite having a major growth spurt in the spring time. It just sends out more runners. No flowers or seeds to the "belem" from the SFBAAPS source. This suggests to me that the stuff that AFA imported is a different than the sp. mini from tropica that Tom allegedly sent them. In contrast eleocharis acicularis and parvula comes with seeds from FAN and is shipped in rockwool.

I'll have to contact Tom to see if he, in fact, did send them some "belem" and where he got his.

I received Eleocharis sp. 'Mini' from Tropica, i grow it in submersed and emersed mode. These are first inflorescences photos.
Here: http://www.rareaquaticplants.com/in...ntent&view=article&id=742:eleocharis-sp-japan

21 - 34 of 34 Posts