Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerning the Eleocharis

How much light do they need? (I have a 75 gal /w/ 220W 6500K PC).

What kind of substrate do they need?

(My tank has one 40 lb bag of flourite, along with 40lbs regular gravel with laterite mixed in. I am going to add an additional 20lbs of sand).

My tank currently has fish in it, and I am trying to rework it as to have a nice bed of eleocharis in the forground. So far all I have is some pieces of driftwood with Java fern attached and some Java moss growing on rocks. (I have clown loaches so I might design a "cage" to place over the eleocharis so it doesn't get uprooted).

I use RO/DI and have not used Co2 as of yet (the tank is only half full-paludarium style with two mangrove seedlings) so I hope to get away with a pop-bottle Co2 unit. Should I also switch to Tap?

Tank has Eheim 2213 classic as filtration.

Right now I am trying to fight the algae, because my tank doesn't have a great deal of plants, so I need some more plant cover to compete with the algae.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think hairgrass should do fine in your light and substrate. CO2 and adding fertilizers to the water may be needed.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Eleocharis takes better with a sandy top to the substrate. It looks like you're all set with what you have. But soda-bottle DIY CO2 might not be enough in that size aquarium. You have fairly high light and might run into algae problems. Consider acquiring a pressurized CO2 system. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Andrew Cribb

·
Administrator
7,390 Posts
I've only grown parvula under PCF lighting, so I can't say how little you could get away with (at least as far as keeping it short, etc). But it sounds like you have enough.

One thing that's for sure is that a DIY yeast bottle won't even come close to being enough for a tank that size. Go pressurized.

I grow mine in a mix of old aquarium gravel and Flourite. That works just fine. It grows pretty thick and has to be thinned out every once in a while. I originally thought I'd have to mix some sand in there.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
CO2 will certainly help increase the growth..I've grown it slowly in non CO2 tanks.
NO FL's work fine, 2-3w/gal etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
406 Posts
I tried growing both acicularis and parvula in play sand with lots of light and CO2, and they both did absolutely nothing. It may be my hard water though as I also tried a 100% Eco-complete substrate and had the same results.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. With respect to the CO2, I was hoping the DIY would work because the tank is only half way fill (approx 35 gal). I have the mangroves growing as emergent vegetation. I was also going to supplement with SeaChem Excel Organic Carbon along with the DIY CO2. Any opinions? Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether I should switch my water changes to tap water instead of RO/DI? I know if I dose the CO2 that the pH drops in the RO/DI to around 6.0, so maybe I am answering my own question :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts