Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Elocharis parvulus

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert Hudson 
#1 ·
I'm growing this plant in an Amano like Iwagumi set up. It's growing miserably slow. I don't have a heater in this tank and the water stays nice and cool.

Think the temp might be a factor in the slow growth?

Sorry, I don't have a thermometer in it either or I would tell you temps.

Ben

#2 ·
For what it's worth...

My tank usually runs at 74-75 degrees. 3.2 wpg of power compacts, lots of co2, ferts, etc.

Growth in my tank is moderate. It just doesn't grow that fast but will pick up a bit after a while. Mine was getting smothered by other plants but I just cleaned everything up and planted little clumps here and there. A week later and I can see it starting to spread.

I'm not sure if that helps or not. :?

#3 ·
When it hits critical mass it will grow a lot faster than you want it to. I don't know how much floor space you are trying to fill up but one thing you can do to coax it into high gear is trim it low (buzz cut). That always speeds up the spreading in my unheated tanks.

#5 ·
I grew Eleocharis parvulus in my 12g nano cube before I tore it down. In that tank, I used Florabase with a peat underlayer.

I planted them in bunches of 2-3 plantlets. I trimmed off the old, emersed growth. Within a couple weeks, the plants were producing runners. Within two months, I had a full blown carpet. Lighting was moderate (3 wpg PC over this little tank), DIY CO2 injection, and high temperatures (79-82 F).

Hope this helps somehow,

Carlos

#7 ·
To clarify, I don't think it grows better in cooler temps, I was just saying that it grows fine in my unheated tanks. I don't know if temperature plays a part in it's growth.

I always plant it and when I see growth popping up from the surounding substrate I cut it down about half of what it was. Which means this last time when I transplanted the stuff from my 10 to my 75 I cut off about 3 inches. Which left 3 inches. The stuff mutated in the 10. The same plant in my 56 (also transplanted from the 10) is only 2 inches tall, so who knows.

#9 ·
I have acicularis in another tank and I've been a good boy and kept them appart. :wink: The 10 is E. parvulus and when I put it in the 56 it started growing about 1.5 inches. Meanwhile in the 10 it started sprouting for the heavens and reached 6 inches (very bright lights on that 10) I've moved a bunch of the growth from the 10 to my 75 and I'm waiting to see what it does there.

#10 ·
I was just saying I always thought the opposite of what Ben is saying was true, but who knows. It just may all come down to light, C02, and nutrients, finding the right balance. I know a few years back when I was still in California, Tom Barr gave me some parvulus, and it struggled and withered away. The tank had 4/watts per gallon and C02, but I kept a temp of 82 to 85 or hotter in the summer, (before I had an air conditioner!) It was also hard to keep it rooted. My fish kept digging it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.