Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been active on APC and updated my Highrise Tank Rack journal. As awesome as the tank rack is, I have been forced to consolidate the three tanks into just one. The tank rack did have some drawbacks...it rocked when anyone walked by it on my hardwood floors and was somewhat awkward due to the restricted clearance above the tank. I already had the new tank picked out to fit a vacant space perfectly, a 46 gallon bow-front. I found one on Craigslist that was a steal and got to work.

Tank Stats:
46 gallon bowfront
96 watts 10,000K PC light with the option to add another 96W bulb
Eheim 2217
10lb CO2 tank with JBJ regulator fed into the Eheim intake running 2bps
ADA Amazonia I Substrate

Environment:
The new tank sits in the foyer of the apartment and is viewable from two angles, so I had to create an aquascape that looked decent viewed from the side as well.

Concept:
I settled on a mound and field type layout because of its versatility and viewability. I wanted something that was reminiscent of a field of grass meeting a thicket of vegetation. I also wanted to go with mostly low maintenance plants as I'm tired of dealing with fussy stem plants.

Pictures (1 day after setup):

Plants:
In the mound on the right there is Anubias nana, Java Fern, Needle leaf Java Fern, Crypt Wenditii Red and Green, Blyxa japonica, and Rotala rotundifolia. For the field, I haven't decided between HC and dwarf hair grass, so I planted both. I'm leaning towards the dwarf hair grass to look more "natural" though. Eventually, I'd like to get some interesting mosses and put them on the rocks and some of the driftwood.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Looks like a good start. You've definitely chosen some good plants for a low maintenance tank. This should be great once it fills in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts