Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a water change today and was dosing nitrates and potassium since my tap water has 1ppm of phosphate in it. I mistakenly grabbed the KH2PO4 instead of the K2SO4 and added 1 teaspoon into my 55 gallon tank. I am going to do 2 50% water changes in a row to try to dilute the PO4. Does anyone have any other advice or is my plan OK.

Please help I don't know what this kind of a phosphate overdose will do to my tank and fish!!

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello,

I believe you have taken the right actions.

By my calculations, your original dose was 5.77 ppm P, or 17.5 ppm PO4. After the two water changes you have 4.37 ppm PO4. Do one more 50% water change and you will have 2.185 ppm PO4. Add back the 1 ppm PO4 carried in your water and you have a total of 3.185 PO4. This is on the high end of the range, but within the bounds of a normal dose.

I am far from an expert, but I do not believe your plants or fish will experience any ill effects.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I agree with cfreeman. A couple of 50% water changes today and a couple in the next day or two should do the trick.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything seems to be OK. I am actually having a bit of an algae problem right now, mainly brush algae and a little bit of BBA but this started before the overdose. I am going to try a little bit different fert regimen and reduce them a little. EI at normal concentrations is not working for me, I think my tank is not heaily planted enough.

Thanks for the concern, I may have to get some more advice from you soo on the new ferts schedule!!:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I initially read this thread as "Emergency fart question!!" which would have been way funnier...

...that is all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi jmontee,

I am glad that everything turned out ok. There are others on APC with far more expertise than myself to help with your new dosing schedule, but I am happy to assist in any way.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts