Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure on the legality of this, I think it's safe as long as its not a nature reserve, but does anyone know any good locations to collect hihiwai/hapawai, o'opu, opae ect.? I kind of wanna try an all native fish tank probably 33L if I can get one with sort of high flow, It's not really a planted tank though so I don't know if this is the right place to ask :p

I used to collect(about 6 years ago) a lot around the Nuuanu area but when I went back to check there isn't really much left...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to Kailua if you like tilapia. You'll have better luck waaaaay up in Nuuanu, Manoa, and Kahaluu/Kahuku.
Yeah, I remember there being a stream leading out to sea I think in Kahuku, I bet further upstream would have opae ect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You would have to go up high up the stream/mountain to find opae kala'ole. Most opae found sea level are just feeder shrimp (neocaridina sp. or 'wild' cherries). Sometimes I've found opae kala'ole mixed in with the feeder shrimp at pet shops. Anyway, I'd be interested to tag along if you go lmk :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
What parts of the stream do opae kala'ole like to hang out in? Do they hide under rocks, or in plants, or are they just cruising around? I went exploring a couple Saturdays and didn't see any, but I was just looking from the bank and didn't jump in with my scoop net or anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What parts of the stream do opae kala'ole like to hang out in? Do they hide under rocks, or in plants, or are they just cruising around? I went exploring a couple Saturdays and didn't see any, but I was just looking from the bank and didn't jump in with my scoop net or anything.
I'm curious about that also... they don't really look like swimmers so I'd assume attached to rocks/on the bottom/on plants or roots? Too bad none of the hawaiian aquatic life can't be captive bred due to the half ocean/half fresh water life cycle :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts