Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
All fluorescent bulbs are energy saving bulbs. They produce 10X the light that an incandescent bulb produces. But, we mean fluorescent bulb watts when we talk about watts per gallon, not incandescent bulbs. So, you are already using energy saving bulbs. If you want to save your parents electricity costs, switch to T5 bulbs with individual reflectors. They will save up to about half the wattage of other fluorescent bulbs. (Always beware when someone tells you you can save up to some value! That means that is the most you will save, but the least is zero.)

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Undoubtably there are advantages in plant growth to using bulbs that provide a spectra that matches the plants needs as closely as possible. But, equally undoubtable is that you can grow plants very well with almost any spectra bulbs. So, in my opinion, the best criteria for selecting fluorescent bulbs is what looks best to you, and what fits your budget best. My experience is that bulbs that give what looks like a weird pinkish violet color when you first see them, make the reds in fish and plants look outstanding in the aquarium. After a day or two, you don't notice the weirdness anymore.

I hope the ultra high science in this comment doesn't throw you8-[

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Do you fertilize those tanks? With 80 watts of light and a 25 gallon, roughly, tank, you do need fertilizers. CO2 would help a lot too, but Excel would be adequate if you don't mind the cost and the slower growth.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
I suggest you read the stickies on the fertilizing forum here, about the EI fertilizing method, and the PPS Pro method. There is a lot of very good information there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts