Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 2.8WPG of t5 lighting enough to grow any plants I wish in a 14 gallon aquarium? I know 2.8 would be enough in a larger tank, but people say that the WPG rule doesn't really work as well on tanks less than 20 gallons. My choices are 2.8WPG or 5.7+WPG, as these are the only fixtures I can find. The 2.8 would give me much less algae headaches, and it's much cheaper, but if it is insufficient to grow.. say.. Rotala Macrandra in a deep red, then I'm going to go with the higher lighting.

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
This is a very subjective answer - yes, it is enough. I think that because it is T5, which probably has a very good reflector, so it is actually more intense than the watts per gallon would indicate. And, it is probably a bulb meant to be used to light an aquarium (that is just a guess). If you went with the one that has twice the wattage you could always remove one bulb if it proves to be too much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I went to big on my first tank and it made me go through the ringer. But know I have a real good idea about what is going on and can control a large amount of light. Although 5+ wpg is a lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
A 14 gallon tank isn't likely to have enough light at 2 watts per gallon of any kind of light, but a 55 gallon tank would do fine with that light. That's why it is hard to know if 2.8 watts per gallon of T5 is enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts