Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my scale from ebay, and my ferts from Rex Grigg and mixed up 500mls of each solution.

I didn't have the MgSO4 though, so I'll have to get some of that. I'll be dosing 2 tanks both probably low light, both with DIY CO2. On of them is a 75g, I've got 2 3L fermenting bottles on that one. We'll see how it goes. Drop checkers with 4 dKH solution are in the green...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro

You need Epsom Salt for the MgSO4 and not pure MgSO4.

Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate (MgSO4∙7H2O) and it is very easy to find at pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. and it is fairly cheap too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You may have to contact them to see if you are actually getting MgSO4 or MgSO4∙7H2O (Epsom Salt). The dosing amounts will be a bit different.

Many people call MgSO4∙7H2O magnesium sulfate and it is not correct.

BTW, the Fertilator uses MgSO4∙7H2O.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
wow....so my mgs04 is about double from what I should have....guess I should have used epson salt (much cheaper too)

Should I dump this batch and make a new one?

·
Registered
581 Posts
nevermind...they responded that they sold me heptahydrate magnesium sulfate. So according to the above...I am basically using the right stuff and not the pure form

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm glad that you actually got the right stuff.

IMO, if we are going to be using chemicals; we should call them by their real name to avoid confusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts