Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could u give me some info about the needs of this plants?
i think ill go for a tank with this species only.
what other plants will thrive with them? what fish? how do u maintain such low ph? chemicals or r/o+co2 only?
need tips from any of u who hold this plants successfully

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The Plant Finder could answer some of those questions.
What works for me for Tonina sp Belem:

Soft water almost unmeasurable GH/KH (I do not increase GH or KH)
Light 3.6 wpg
CO2 40-60 bpm
Flourite and silicon sand mixture
KNO3 and PO4 dosing (minimal traces)

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Pineapple, do you only inject co2 during lights on? I'm wondering because of the low kh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I run my Tonina tank with a KH of 2 and a GH of about 3-5. I keep the CO2 at about 35ppm. I use RO water and mix it with a few gallons of tap water. My tap water has a GH of 1 so I add calcium and magnesium to it.

KNO3 and PO4 dosing + traces.

Don't use chemicals.

I have yet to find a plant that will not grow well in these conditions.
Most any fish will do fine in this water as well. Tetras, Rasboras, Apistos.

A piece of advice is don't put shrimp in the tank. They seem to like to eat both of these plants. I know Amanos will eat Tonina. I have seen them.

HTH,
Robert. (bobo31)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Piscesgirl said:
Pineapple, do you only inject co2 during lights on? I'm wondering because of the low kh.
Until my JBJ regulator ceased working this Saturday, it was 24/7 CO2 injection into an Eheim cannister filter. Some time back with DIY CO2 it was always 24/7 too. I've just started playing with shutting off CO2 after lights go out with another tank and if that works, I will also institute that regimen on the Tonina tank.

The Corydoras julii and Melanotaenia praecox have both spawned successfully. My only concern with this water has been thread algae as a result of adding Tropica Master Grow in small amounts. I am trying to learn more about this situation - but am leary about playing with GH/KH.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My Cherry and Crystal Red shrimp do not touch any of my plants - including Tonina and Eriocaulon; but, since I raised the KH worried about Co2 injection (was doing DIY Co2 very successfully with this tank, however), they haven't been doing as well. I'm just not sure how low I can safely let the Co2 drop (not on controller or anything, I run 24/7)/

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yea, I agree with the shrimp statement, but I only apply it to Amanos. I have yet to really see a true tonina tank with Amano shrimp, but a lot of them have the other froofroo shrimps like CRS and bumblebee that don't hurt the plants.

Mor B- You have perfect substrate for your tank (aquasoil) and you just need the softwater conditions. Eriocaulons really like substrate fertilization like those little tablets. Here is a website for you. Click around and you will see some nice pictures of tonina tanks.

http://www.tonina.net/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

Why everybody are recommending low KH when talking about soft water? Shouldn't it be low GH only? Low Calcium/Magnessium??? What is so special about low KH?

I am asking because maintaining low KH is not easy especially when you regulate your CO2 using a PH controller - it is then that you need to be able to measure KH very accurately, otherwise your CO2 could be very low (or very high)....

One more question here... - in such a low GH I am wondering if Ammanos can survive or be strong enough to eat the tonina... :?

Aviel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks friends, could u please state what tonina n eriocaulon do u hold in your tanks? what is the suggested temp?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I didn't keep a Tonina and Eriocaulon tank per say, but I have successfully grown a few of them in my 55g (all the ones I've tried so far, basically).

Volume: 55g
Dimensions: 48x13x21
Temperature: 78-80F
Eheim Classic 2213
Lighting: 1x96 + 2x55 (3.75wpg)
Pressurized CO2
GH: 5, KH: 3
Substrate: aged Flourite substrate (3 years old)

The plants I grew successfully were Tonina sp Belem, Tonina fluviatilis, and Eriocaulon setaceum.

Here is a picture of one of them in the collector's incarnation of my 55g:

Link:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=247

It seems that linking to your photos for pictures isn't working now?

Carlos

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I think I can safely say the low pH/KH business, at less than the 3-5 range, is more myth based voodoo.

These plants I grew quite well.

As far as needing this or that for the substrate, flourite is all I had.
Nothing special, no coddling, plants grew well and multiplied.
Carlos seems to have the same deal.

Temps , I keep them in the 70's. Don't use/need heaters here.
I had amano's but removed them for other reasons, I did not notice them bothering plants, of course the shrimp were well feed with food and not starved into eating little left pieces of plant or algae bits.
They do not bother plants if you feed them. They will still pick at plants and keep them clean, but they will not eat them.

Try it and see.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tonina sp. Belem here,

2.7 wpg, GH=6, KH=6 (I actually raise the KH using basking soda...), Quartz gravel on top of JBL (peat),

They are slow, they multiply horizontally, they stay low, and they are pearling. If I lower to GH=4 then they have a fantastic green but other plants don't look so good and if I elavate it (the GH) then I get black on tips of leaves. I played with KH=2, had CO2 fluctuations every water change, I learned my lesson, no thank you, not in my community tank.

Aviel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts