Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Just when I thought I'd tracked down every Eriocaulon species I happened across another new Eriocaulon which is circulating in the South East Asian freshwater plant community. A very cool and unique new Erio.

The new plant is called Eriocaulon "Dekabosi" or just "Dekabosi" which means "Big Star" (in what language I don't know). Erio Dekabosi originates from the Indonesian island of Sulawesi where it has been recorded from Danao (Lake) Towuti. The leaves resemble setaceum but I was assured that this is not E. setaceum and this plant has not been showed to have much of a stem. This plant will hopefully make it's way to the Western Hemisphere so that Erio enthusiasts can grow and distribute the "Big Star" Eriocaulon.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You have a lot more homework to do Coralite :) but it's nice to see someone else who seems to be interested in the Erio species.

I know it as Erio Sp Sulawesi (large) and it looks just like a Matto Grosso when young and I'm sure it will be availbale in the US in time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There does seem to be a dearth of knowledge of all Erios everywhere, in Australia we have over 60 species listed, i've seen about five, and there seems limited info on them at all.
Back to the topic is looks similar to an unidentified species we have here in Australia, i was lucky enough to get a few of these about 18 months ago, they were about the size of a 20 cent piece (a US quarter), and now the biggest one is bigger than my fist and grow to a height of about 5-8 cms(2-3 inches), i've never had seen them seed so i can't really tell you how to propagate them.
I keep mine under a 150w halide six hours a day
Two quick photos.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey shadow thanks for the contribution, given the relative proximity of Sulawesi it is entirely possible that the plant you have is similar or the same to the Eriocaulon "Big Star" from lake Towuti. Please do share more of your Australian and other Erios that you grow. I would be particularly interested to hear descriptions of what sort of environments you have collected Eriocaulons from in Australia. :clap2:

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
The Aquatic and Wetland Plants of India by C.D.K. Cook has an excellent section on Eriocaulon. Unfortunately, it's a very hard-to-find book, and expensive if you can.

If anybody is willing and able to grow some of these emersed, it could be invaluable in figuring out species.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well, if you shared some of your notes I wouldn't have to dig all this stuff up myself.
Sometimes this is the best way to learn, it has done wonders for me :)

Why don't you spill the beans on the Erios you've found and have?
I'm in collect mode right now and I'm not one for show an tell as past experience tells me people think i'm showy, so I mostly keep my babies to myself unless I'm selling.

Hey shadow thanks for the contribution, given the relative proximity of Sulawesi it is entirely possible that the plant you have is similar or the same to the Eriocaulon "Big Star" from lake Towuti.
No the plant shown is not the Big Star Erio, the plant shown looks alot to me like an Erio Australia Type II, even the leaf structure and growth pattern looks the same, but even if it is'nt I know for sure thats not a Sulawesi (big Star). Looking at that picture I can tell when that plant is taken out the water the leaves will support it's weight and remain fairly upright, on the other hand The Big Star like I said is like a Matto Grosso in almost every way (that means texture of leaves is the same), so when it is taken out the water the leaves will collapse like a Matto Grosso does....at least mine does and I do have both species.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"I'm in collect mode right now and I'm not one for show an tell as past experience tells me people think i'm showy, so I mostly keep my babies to myself unless I'm selling".

Don't be like that I love seeing all the erio's you've managed to collect, sure, it makes me jealous of your impressive collection. I'd rather see them than not, even if i can't have them.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Mrkookm - You have great plants and wonderful knowledge. There will always be "those" people. We will just ignore their snide comments:mmph:.... We want to hear your knowledge! :D Thanks for sharing!!

P.S. Got some Epsom salts. Wondering about the Ca.... I'm working in this. Thanks buddy!!!!:bounce:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I think most of these plants look the same Cinereum/Aus II and China/Thai. It's very confusing to the lay eye.

Ill still grow them though! ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think most of these plants look the same Cinereum/Aus II
Because they are, recently the NT Herbarium has been doing some work with eriocaulon's and came to the same conclusion.
In other Eriocaulon news
Interesetingly enough another species thought to be this species has been classified as another species. It is Eriocaulon Scullioni, a little spiky tuft with leaves less than a centimetre long. doesn't seem to be alot of info about this one yet.
And yet another one that may be of interest that we all thought was a variety of E. zollingeranium is actually E.Depressum.
Hope that to the confusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.