Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://translate.google.com/transla...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=4o9

(plant and fish, then foreground accent)

The more I look into it, the more I think that plant isn't an Eriocaulon. It doesn't look all that much like one, and none of the herbarium specimens I've seen look anything like it. Flowering it would settle the issue quickly and decisively, so I may acquire one for that purpose. Anybody growing it now is invited to do the same.

Also note that Rotala sp. 'Goias' is listed as a form of R. mexicana, which I've suspected for a while. That doesn't constitute proof, of course, so that's a key one to flower as well.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Solomon. That does help. I wish that one had at least a photo! :)

I looked through the Cowie floodplain flora book today and found nothing in it regarding the family. Oh well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it is from the Kimberley? How do these people get these plants?...the Kimberley isnt the kind of place you can get to with an easy journey from a capital city, its very isolated and is difficult to get to...and why isnt this plant available to us if its from this country?

So many questions and so few answers...

Mike :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just found a line drawing of a young plant of Trithuria lanterna

"Seedling Diversity in Hydatellaceae: Implications for the Evolution of Angiosperm Cotyledons"
Annals of botany [0305-7364] Sokoloff yr:2007 vol:101 iss:1 pg:153 -164

Not sure how helpful that really is ;) .... fixed the photo

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is from the Kimberley? How do these people get these plants?...the Kimberley isnt the kind of place you can get to with an easy journey from a capital city, its very isolated and is difficult to get to...and why isnt this plant available to us if its from this country?

So many questions and so few answers...

Mike :)
It wouldn't be the first time somebody found out that people overseas had been growing plants from his own back yard before he was!

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone interested, there's an incredibly thorough article on Trithuria from the journal Taxon ((57 (1) February 2008: 179-200) from just last year. In it, the authors place the genus Hydatella into synonomy with Trithuria and describe several new species, at least one of which is from the northern part of Australia.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I hope it's OK to reanimate this age-old thread because it deals with the ID of the Trithuria "Australia Red" = "Blood V....":

Recently the name Trithuria lanterna floats around in the web as the alleged species name of that aquarium plant. However I couldn't trace back the source of that info. I can't judge if it's a reliable ID or just an assumption.
By any chance, does anyone know who has IDed this Trithuria as T. lanterna, and by what method?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.