Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest, what are the difference in Eriocaulon and dwarf sag? I have plants in a local pond that looks like Saggitaria, but after reading through a couple of the biotope topics, I'm not so sure they're sags.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already taken a look in the plant finder and it doesn't really clarify what I'm trying to differentiate at my local pond. If you take a look at the plant in this thread (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/local-biotopes/53242-check-out-what-i-found-erio.html) and compare the first plant with dwarf sag, it's hard to differentiate. I have what I thought was dwarf sag in a pond down my street, but upon further thought, it may actually be an Eriocaulon. How do Eriocaulon's propagate?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey Tex, Those are the Erio's I found here in Mass. Dwarf sag leaves are broader, and not as brittle as Erios leaves. Eriocaulon leaves are stiff, pointy, short, and brittle. Very reminiscent of an air plant, or some sort of cactus. Sag. leaves are flat where as the Erio's have some thickness to them. Hope that helps. :p
Erio's kinda grow of each other, and you'll need separate them. (with the ones I have anyways)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts