Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what it seems to me, that what I have is BGA, but it ain't blue or green, its black sheets covering my mosses and tonina. Its very easy to take out, but a pain toget rid of. Even after resetting the whole tank again, some how it rises up out of the grave. N:p ratio is at 10:1 ppm.
So will my plants suffer from using this antibiotic?
Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, is it ok to dose ferts, while using this antibiotic? Thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Whats the dosing protocol?

Is it helpful to use with Peroxide at the same time? If so, how much per gal of the 3% grocery store variety?

TIA

·
Registered
645 Posts
Peroxide is pretty weak, i suggest getting a product called greenclean. It is a peroxide compound and is alot more damaging to algae / causes to damage to plants. I have used it before. I think its like 10oz of Peroxide per 10 gallons. Look it up on the APD. I would just use the antibiotics by themselves.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was gonna dose some macros today, but I guess it would be better to just wait. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A side-effect of using Flourish Excel is an algaecidal effect on BGA. In a 15 US gallon aquarium, for example, after the water change you would dose two capfuls (10ml), then on each day after dose one capful (5ml). Keep your eye on the aquarium and once the BGA starts to turn grey, remove by vacuuming. Dose macros normally during this treatment.

Note, this dosing regime for Flourish Excel is slightly higher than the schedule Seachem recommends.

Using this method sometime ago, I was able to completely remove BGA presence in an aquarium without harming fish or shrimp. However, your water and dosing schedule might be different, so observe the tank carefully. If you get any hint of cloudy water, stop dosing for one day, then resume.

"My advice is no substitute for your own research," as the stock market broker tells you when he sells you an equity....

Andrew Cribb

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Why doesn't ANYONE suggest a blackout?.

It's free
It's a 100% effective
It addresses the cause the BGA
If followed, BGA never comes back.
It's 100% safe

50% water change, remove what's there
Cover tank and turn off/CO2 lights
Add 1/4 teaspoon per 80 liters of of KNO3

3 days later turn lights on, water change and add
KNO3 back and thereafter at 1-2x a week, more with higher light.

BGA does not return(I have not had BGA for many years, it's there and I can find it under a scope, but does not bloom or is ever visible)

Not sure how you can compare anything else as a better method than this.
Free, fast, effective,easy, addresses the long term issues(KNO3) and is 100% safe in all cases.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Plantbrain... Maybe some don't suggest the blackout method because they don't feel comfortable using it like me, besides I don't won't to go without seeing my fish for 3-5 days wondering whats going on under there. I found that using E-mycin at full dose for 5 days is 100% effective & safe, although it is not free. Not saying the blackout is not, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Are we sure that what we are dealing with here is blue-green algae? From Erirku's descriptions, it sounds remarkably similar to the "grey slime" reported by Cavan earlier in the year. He reported that erythromycin is ineffective against the "grey slime". According to him and one or two other hobbyists, a 3-day blackout was the only treatment for it, aside from total tank break-down.

Erirku, are you still plagued with this algae? Please provide more thorough information on your tank's setup so we can better assess the situation.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tank specs:
15G
2X55 watt CF ( 6" above the tank )
CO2: 30ppm
NO3:10ppm
PO4:0.8-1.5ppm
macros I dose once after WC, seems the plants got better, but these 2 seem to not be taken up :?.
TE: every other day 1.5mls
pH:6.6
Flora: tonina, riccia, downoi, A. gracilis, L. aromatica, A. ambulla, moss.
Fish: several tetras
To my use of the meds, it seems to be not appearing, so I'm hoping it worked. I also did tear down my tank, and it still managed to come back. Yesterday was the last dosage, so I'm hoping that it won't come :?.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
trenac said:
Plantbrain... Maybe some don't suggest the blackout method because they don't feel comfortable using it like me, besides I don't won't to go without seeing my fish for 3-5 days wondering whats going on under there. I found that using E-mycin at full dose for 5 days is 100% effective & safe, although it is not free. Not saying the blackout is not, this is just my opinion.
What's the risk of a BO when you are using this stuff and H2O2 etc?
Zero%.

Never lost a fish from a blackout hahahha, come on you pill poppers:). How is that bad for fish?

It takes 3 days, not 3-5 days. Unlike all the anti biotic suggestions folks suggest, I've been the only one to suggest what is causing the BGA to begin with and the long term cure, issue.

That, unlike antibiotics, helps the plants do better, I think you folks really are missing the point here.

The BGA, BBA etc are signs that there are sub optimal conditions in your tanks for plant growth. Correcting those conditions, ......even if you think the plants are doing great at the time, the conditions can be further improved which no algae killer will ever do.

This allows me to know why and what is going in their tanks without knowing parameters.

That is the key to having no issues forever.
I've been down this path many years ago.
I'm not going to tell you things I've not done myself nor suggest some hair brained idea that's a harder path. Why would I ever do that?

You may disagree now, but down the road after you do this for awhile, you may change your minds.

I can give someone a deer to eat, but if I teach them to hunt, they can feed themselves forever.

The focus should be on the plants and improving their growth. Not one of you suggested that here.

She is only doing once a week KNO3, dose 3x a week.
110 w on a 15 gal, good grief. Why on earth do you have that much light?
If you can cut that to 1/2 that, that is plenty for Tonia(I grow it too).

You must dose macro's more than 1x a week at this light level with CO2.

Do this for nutrient routine:
KNO3 ~1/6 teaspoon every other day
KH2PO4 ~ 1/16th every other day

TE on off day, add 3mls every other day.

Weekly 50-70% WC.

Keep the CO2 up high, very high.
Clean the tank very well, everything, then do the water change, remove as much as you can.

You try this if the other does not work but you will have issues unless you dose the macros more often.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Plantbrain... I did not say that there was any risk in using the BO method, I said I was not comfortable using the BO method.

I have never lost fish either using E-mycin. I would not call using it once to get rid of BGA being a "pill popper", only using a RX over and over again is consider being a "pill popper".

I used the example of 3-5 days because I read/heard on various forums of people using the BO method for that period of time.

I don't know why you think that other methods of solving issues in a tank is "hair brained" if they are proven to work. Is it because their not your own way of doing things? If so there is more than one way of doing things, what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa, but it does not mean it is wrong just because you don't use that method.

Yes, a well balanced tank & improving plant growth is the way to go to stop having algae issues. However that was not the focus of this post, the original question was "will my plants suffer from using this antibiotic"?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks alot for the informative replies. Oh, and Tom I'm a dude! The ID name is what my japanese friends all call me, even though it is not spelled correctly, but that was how I spelled it 7 years ago and I found it comfortable to my standards :oops:. Thanks again :D

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
trenac said:
Plantbrain... I did not say that there was any risk in using the BO method, I said I was not comfortable using the BO method.
You said you were not comfortable, could not see your fish why would you feel that during any treatment? Semantics is all that is about. You can lift the towel etc to look if you feel compelled too. A short bit will not harm anything, you can peek:)

trenac said:
I have never lost fish either using E-mycin. I would not call using it once to get rid of BGA being a "pill popper", only using a RX over and over again is consider being a "pill popper".
Then you have little experience causing/inducing a BGA bloom, I've repeat my test many times(12x), not just once.
I treat the larger issue, not a simple pill solution.

This is the same reason I do not suggest algicides and snake oils.
They detract from the goal, growing healthy plants.
That's why I support this method, not becuase it does or does not work.

trenac said:
I don't know why you think that other methods of solving issues in a tank is "hair brained" if they are proven to work. Is it because their not your own way of doing things? If so there is more than one way of doing things, what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa, but it does not mean it is wrong just because you don't use that method.
My way has nothing to do with. The root cause does. Rather than merely fixing the symtom, I looked at the cause, so I suppose in some way, yes, my method is better. I use plants and nature to deal with it rather than a pill. Many folks do not have access to antibiotics.
As far as I know, I'm the only one that has suggested a lack of NO3 allows this species of Oscillitoria to grow in a planted tank and also know it does not produce heterocyst.

I give advice for a reason, not just what you can get in the USA, or something to fix the problem, I view plant health from a holistic approach, something you totally missed here.

I can use quick fixes but in general they don't help the person, much like givign someone a deer vs teaching to hurt for a deer. In the long run, teaching to help themselves works better.

They also repeat this pattern when they give advice rather than merely treating the smytom.

trenac said:
Yes, a well balanced tank & improving plant growth is the way to go to stop having algae issues. However that was not the focus of this post, the original question was "will my plants suffer from using this antibiotic"?
That question was answered early on.

Erirku, sorry about that, your avatar betrays your gender.
You still have a great deal of light on there.
This will make things tougher for you.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Tom... I know you have a lot more experience then I and know a lot more about solving algae issues. However I do believe there is more than one solution to a problem, I guess the better one would be determined by the user. I agree you need to look at the cause of the problem and fix it, that using Algaecide only covers up the problem. But I see no harm in using a antibiotic to get rid of the initial problem as long as you are working on solving the imbalance at the same time so the algae does not return. Anyway, I respect what you have to offer and know we just will not agree on this subject at this time, but maybe as I grow in this hobby I can see more of your side. :wink:

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I have gotten into this arguement /discussion before several times on APD, and I don't really want another fight, but I will just say that I personaly do not think a black out is all that effective against BGA, and Maracin works and is easy.

I just recently had a BGA attack. I know what the cause was. My C02 tank ran dry and I didn't re fill it. Then a couple light bulbs burnt out. Then a ballast burn out that was powering the remaining lights. That left me with only two out of six working light bulbs. I didn't get everything up and running again for three weeks. The tank crashed. During this time I had to uproot several plants that unearthed gunk from the substrate. Needless to say the tank was a mess. BGA covered the glass and many of the plants.

When I got everything up and running the way it should be, I wanted to get rid of the BGA quickly, as soon as possible. Doing a black out for three days and massive water changes, and hoping for the best was not an option. I did a 40% water change cleaning out as much as possible and then added Maracyn. I did this for three days and all the BGA was gone, the water was clear, and the plants look healthy. I do not expect the BGA to return. The last time I had BGA was three years ago, and I treated it with Maracyn then as well. It is easy and painless. It will also treat any infections the fish might have contracted from the dirty tank conditions.

I really do not understand peoples intolerance of using an anti biotic. It is not snake oil. It is a treatment. To each their own. This drug will not have any affect on the plants

1 - 20 of 32 Posts