Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
I have a 5 gal tank. Now How much will i have to dose as far as the table spoon goes? how do i convert tsp to Gram, i have a neat little scale that can measure gram by 0.01, so i like to just use my scale. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
57 Posts
Thank you hoppy for the response! :)

I have couple of questions guys.

My tank setup is 50gal with AH supply 95watt kit running on compress co2 at about 2 bps

1. Since i started using CSM+B, my plants start to curl up.. then immediately I changed 50% of the water, and stopped using CSM+B and the plants seem to be doing better now. Is using seachem flourish better instead of the CSM+B?

2. Since I been using the EI index, being that its a planted/fishes tank, about 40 fishes, I find it pretty harsh performing the 50% water change every week. The 1st time I've done it, lost 2 fish right away. I've try to conditioned the water as far as matching the temperature and adding water conditioner, but death still happened. Can anyone provide some suggestion?

Thanks all

· Registered
57 Posts
I have always found that my fish enjoy the water changes, being more vigorous and active after such a change than before. I use Seachem Prime to get rid of chlorine or chloramine if I do a big change. I don't know if all such conditioners are equally good. Oh, and I don't make a big effort to match temperatures either. During the cold months I mix hot and cold to get somewhat near the tank temperature, but in the hot months I just use cold water most of the time. It may be that some species of fish are more sensitive to water changes than mine.

I have used CSM+B for two years + now, without any problems that I can see. Were you dosing it dry or mixing with water? I use dry most of the time, but am now premixing so I can dose an easy to measure amount of liquid every day. Flourish may be a better trace mix, but not by a whole lot.

I now use a continuous water change system, so I only do big changes when I do major maintenance on the tank. That works extremely well for me.
Hoppy, can you elaborate on the continuous water change system? for water condition, I used the NovAqua conditioner, and what do you recommend as far as test kit? so far i'm i have a drop checker ensuring 30ppm co2, ph test kit and GH/KH test kit. My fish are very healthy only when it comes in time of water change. I utilize the spill-free phyton kit, so basically water comes out and new water goes back in right away then i add the water conditioner after the tank is filled back up. Maybe is because this, my fishes are experiencing shock. However, using this spill free water exchange method is so simple and quick, and best of all, no mess in my carpeted room. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.