Aquatic Plant Forum banner
221 - 225 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I was hoping you could offer some advice for the following tank setup:
Tank: Juwal Rio 240 litre
Lighting: Fluval fresh& plant 2.0 (4.30pm to 5pm ramp up to 80% - 10pm to 10.30pm ramp down)
Co2: Pressurized 3bps (4pm to 9.30pm) mixed with internal co2 reactor.
Tank type: heavily planted jungle tank (Sords,crypts, red lotus, xmas moss etc)
Filter: All ponds solutions efx+ 2000 l/ph
Dosing :uk plant food uk ei dosing

The problem:

I am following your recipe and dosing schedule to the extent of dosing for a 200 litre tank not for the full 240 litre which my tank is. All algae seems to have disappeared, but green spot algae has taken hold on my crypts, swords, aubias and some of the other species and also my red plants dont seem to be as vibrant with stunted and small leaf growth. But only specs on the glass hardly worth worrying about.

I did do i phosphate test, it indecated 40ppm which i dont think is right so i take those results with a pinch of salt.

Any advice hear?

Do I need to dose for the full 240 litres because I am under dosing? Is this a deficiency overall throughtout my tank?
I'm wondering that too.

Great overview! I'm sure I'll be referencing this thread often.. Very simple to understand.

75 Gallon Fish Tank

·
Registered
68 Posts
You only need about 1ppm of phosphate. I once has phosphate that were at least that high is not higher. It was caused by a nutrient deficiency. Once I fixed the deficencyphosphate level came down and stabilized.pants were only able to consume a very small amount of the Phosphate I was adding. Stunting might be caused by a boron deficiency. Small leave might be caused by low Zinclevels.

Plant food UK micro nutrient package looks like it is the Casic CSM +B recipe Basically they buy the EDTA ingrediients from a company and add boron. It is the most popular micro nutrient. But I has 2 basic problems Iron EDTA at a PH above 6.5 turnstone iron oxide which is not soluble in water and not usable by plants. The other problem is that it doesn't have enough zinc. Since I learned that I took my CSM+b which didn't work in (my tank)and addd Fe DTPA (good to a PH of 7.5 and doesn't fully oxidize until the PH reaches 8. And I used the zinc from 0.001ppm to 0.02 PPM. It works now. GLA has also done this with their CSM +B Product(link) it might work better for you.

Also the original EO recipe didn't have any recomendationts for sulfur, calcium, magnesium. All vital macro nutrients. Also there was no speck for the micro nutrient Chlorine. Normally tap water is treated with Chlorine to sterilize it. So most tap water has abundant levels of chloride salt. But if you are using DI or OR water you won't have any. So Keep these nutrients in mind if the GLA micro mix doesn't solve your problem you may have a macro problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Overview
The Estimative Index (EI) coined by Tom Barr is a straightforward method for providing nutrients for a planted tank. The idea behind EI is simply introducing an excess amount of nutrients within an aquarium, throughout the week. This excess of nutrients floods the water column and feeds the plants. This is an estimative method; measuring specific nutrient uptake rates is not necessary and no test kits are involved. EI provides a surplus of nutrients that helps to prevents plant deficiencies, and allows plant growth to out compete algae growth.

The process of which this is done is simple. Each day fertilizers are dosed, and the nutrients are absorbed by the plants. With this method being estimative, we can dose fertilizers according to general guidelines suited for our particular setup (see below). At the end of the week, one performs a 50% water change to 'reset' the nutrient load in the entire system. And then the entire dosing schedule is repeated.

The primary fertilizers are the macro nutrients - Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), Potassium (K), and the micro nutrients - trace elements (Plantex CSM+B, Flourish). Iron (Fe) can also be supplemented if necessary.

The Estimative Index method works best for a high light and well planted aquarium. However it is not limited to lower light setups, smaller quantities of fertilizers should be dosed in those instances.

General Dosing Guideline for High Light and Well Planted Aquariums
(wolfenxxx)

10- 20 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/8 tsp KN03 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2P04 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

60 - 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ¼ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ¼ tsp (20ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium
+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

Example Dosing Regime for 29 Gallon:

Note: K2SO4 is not required for dosing unless you need the extra Potassium (K). This K is found in KN03 and KH2P04. Dosing these two according to above will yield sufficient K levels. Therefore, one will be fine dosing only KN03 and KH2P04, and Plantex. If one needs to increase their K levels with K2S04, add the same measured amount as KH2P04. For example, if one is dosing 1/2 tsp of KH2P04, then dose 1/2 tsp of K2S04. In true regards to EI, added excess K is not detrimental in any event.

EI target ranges
CO2 range 25-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-5

See APC's Fertilator for additional dosing guides for Fe, Ca, Mg, etc.

Where to buy fertilizers?
AquariumFertilizers.com can provide you with the necessary chemicals for dry and liquid dosing of the above. For micro - trace elements, Plantex CSM+B, Seachem Flourish, and Tropica AquaCare are equivalent to each other. Drsfostersmith and bigalsonline for the Seachem and Tropica brands.

One Pound of each of Aquarium Fertilizer/Greg Watson's Chemicals will last at least 1 year:
Plantex CSM+B​
Potassium Nitrate KN03​
Monopotassium Phosphate KH2P04​
Potassium Sulphate K2S04 (optional)

Special Notes:

Providing optimal CO2 levels of at least 30 ppm are necessary for plants to prosper and out-compete algae. If algae issue arise, remove all visible algae and infected leaves. Recheck CO2 levels, and possibly reduce and adjust the lighting period.

Direct dry dosing into the tank is perfectly fine. Many dosing straight into the tank, or they dissolve each chemical in water before adding.

Making a Liquid Stock of Plantex CSM+B is more often mixed into a bulk liquid solution since some find it more convenient to dose their trace elements this way. The recipe for this solution is 1 tablespoon to 250ml water is equivalent to: 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry Plantex. This solution is stored in refrigerators to prevent mold from forming within the container. For making stock solutions for NPK refer here for a resourceful conversion calculator.

Small dosing teaspoons (smidgen, dash, pinch) can be found at Linen & Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, dollar stores, eBay and other online retailers. To identify the specific measurements of your smidgen, dash, pinch set, a 1/8 tsp should fill a ¼ tsp in 2 tries, 1/16 tsp in 4 tries, and a 1/32 tsp in 8 tries.

Stick to a good dosing regime and your plants will flourish!
hi there

so some people suggest also adding KCl to the mix when dosing IE? nust you add it or not? secondly i cannot find csm+b in RSA where i stay, what can you suggest? is it possible to make?mix your own?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there

so some people suggest also adding KCl to the mix when dosing IE? nust you add it or not? secondly i cannot find csm+b in RSA where i stay, what can you suggest? is it possible to make?mix your own?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
hi there

You might not need to add KCl. KNO3 and KH2PO4 have K in them. I personally add extra potassium/K with potassium gluconate because my tank is naturally high in nitrate so I don't add too much KNO3.

Try to find a micronutrient mix for gardens. It should work fine. Remember to add a very small amount.

221 - 225 of 225 Posts