Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 5 gal tank. Now How much will i have to dose as far as the table spoon goes? how do i convert tsp to Gram, i have a neat little scale that can measure gram by 0.01, so i like to just use my scale. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I have a 5 gal tank. Now How much will i have to dose as far as the table spoon goes? how do i convert tsp to Gram, i have a neat little scale that can measure gram by 0.01, so i like to just use my scale. Thanks in advance!
One of the premises behind EI is that the exact amount of fertilizers dosed isn't at all critical. Everything is estimated. The easiest way to do a small tank like a 5 gallon is to get a bottle, say a 500 ml bottle, with a 5 to 20 ml cap. Measure how much the cap holds. Then divide 500 ml by what a cap holds, and that is the number of doses per bottle. Now multiply that number of doses by the amount of each dose of each macro fertilizer, and add that much to the bottle. Fill with water and shake it up good. Then dose a capful every other day or 3 times a week. Do the same for the micros. If you want to play with the gram scale, measure out a teaspoon and weigh it. That tells you how many grams each 1/8th, 1/4 etc. tsp is.

A variation of this, and what I use, is to take the total weeks dosage (3 times what each of the above doses is). Divide that by 7 and multiply by the number of capfuls in a bottle. That will be the amount to add when you want to dose the same every day, 7 days a week. You can dose the macros and micros on the same day also - the doses are weaker and the precipitation problem with iron and phosphate becomes trivial. But, don't mix micros and macros in one bottle - the concentrations there are great enough to precipitate all of the iron out as sludge in the bottle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you hoppy for the response! :)

I have couple of questions guys.

My tank setup is 50gal with AH supply 95watt kit running on compress co2 at about 2 bps

1. Since i started using CSM+B, my plants start to curl up.. then immediately I changed 50% of the water, and stopped using CSM+B and the plants seem to be doing better now. Is using seachem flourish better instead of the CSM+B?

2. Since I been using the EI index, being that its a planted/fishes tank, about 40 fishes, I find it pretty harsh performing the 50% water change every week. The 1st time I've done it, lost 2 fish right away. I've try to conditioned the water as far as matching the temperature and adding water conditioner, but death still happened. Can anyone provide some suggestion?

Thanks all

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I have always found that my fish enjoy the water changes, being more vigorous and active after such a change than before. I use Seachem Prime to get rid of chlorine or chloramine if I do a big change. I don't know if all such conditioners are equally good. Oh, and I don't make a big effort to match temperatures either. During the cold months I mix hot and cold to get somewhat near the tank temperature, but in the hot months I just use cold water most of the time. It may be that some species of fish are more sensitive to water changes than mine.

I have used CSM+B for two years + now, without any problems that I can see. Were you dosing it dry or mixing with water? I use dry most of the time, but am now premixing so I can dose an easy to measure amount of liquid every day. Flourish may be a better trace mix, but not by a whole lot.

I now use a continuous water change system, so I only do big changes when I do major maintenance on the tank. That works extremely well for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have always found that my fish enjoy the water changes, being more vigorous and active after such a change than before. I use Seachem Prime to get rid of chlorine or chloramine if I do a big change. I don't know if all such conditioners are equally good. Oh, and I don't make a big effort to match temperatures either. During the cold months I mix hot and cold to get somewhat near the tank temperature, but in the hot months I just use cold water most of the time. It may be that some species of fish are more sensitive to water changes than mine.

I have used CSM+B for two years + now, without any problems that I can see. Were you dosing it dry or mixing with water? I use dry most of the time, but am now premixing so I can dose an easy to measure amount of liquid every day. Flourish may be a better trace mix, but not by a whole lot.

I now use a continuous water change system, so I only do big changes when I do major maintenance on the tank. That works extremely well for me.
Hoppy, can you elaborate on the continuous water change system? for water condition, I used the NovAqua conditioner, and what do you recommend as far as test kit? so far i'm i have a drop checker ensuring 30ppm co2, ph test kit and GH/KH test kit. My fish are very healthy only when it comes in time of water change. I utilize the spill-free phyton kit, so basically water comes out and new water goes back in right away then i add the water conditioner after the tank is filled back up. Maybe is because this, my fishes are experiencing shock. However, using this spill free water exchange method is so simple and quick, and best of all, no mess in my carpeted room. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tap water is quite soft at 2dKH and my TE (Homegrown Hydroponics, Fe 7%, B 1.3%, Mn 2%, Zn 0.4%, Cu 0.1%, Mo 0.06%) does not have any Mg in it.

For a 100L tank, how much would I have to add CaCO3 (or CaCl2) and MgSO47H2O after a weekly 50% WC ? What is the target ppm for Ca and Mg?

For the TE, since my tank is 100L, ie about 26g, I would add 1/16 tsp TE 3x a week. But what does the '5ml' is for when you wrote : '1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week' ? Does it mean to dissolve the TE in 5ml of DI and then pour the 5ml into the tank?

·
Registered
642 Posts
....But what does the '5ml' is for when you wrote : '1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week' ? Does it mean to dissolve the TE in 5ml of DI and then pour the 5ml into the tank?...
You can do what Rex Grigg does. He mixes two tablespoons of Plantex CSM TE powder into 500 ml of distilled water and then doses 5-10 ml/20 gallons three times a week for a medium light tank.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/ferts.htm

You can also use a commercial TE liquid like Seachem Fluorish Comprehensive and dose 5-10 ml/20 gallons three times a week. However, in the long run a dry TE mix like Plantex CSM or comparable powder TE would be cheaper to dose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium
+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
Using Fertilator, I can see that 1/2 tsp of CSM+B will add 0.14 ppm Fe per dosage. And according to Fertilator's Conversion of tbs/tsp/Dash/Pinch/Smidgen/grams, 1 tsp is about 5ml. But referring to the above dosage by John N. , where does that 30ml (in braces) comes from?

Please advice. TIA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered and I just missed it, but is there any real reason not to use half the recommended amounts 6 days a week rather than the recommended amounts 3 days a week-- so long as you don't let strong concentrations of phosphate and iron mix.

It seems to me that that would be a simpler to keep track of.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered and I just missed it, but is there any real reason not to use half the recommended amounts 6 days a week rather than the recommended amounts 3 days a week-- so long as you don't let strong concentrations of phosphate and iron mix.

It seems to me that that would be a simpler to keep track of.
There is no magic in dosing 3X a week, alternating between macros and micros, and letting the tank rest one day, then changing 50% of the water. You could have problems trying to dose a high light intensity tank only once a week - there is a good chance of running short of some nutrients that way. But, dosing daily, by dividing up the weeks total for each nutrient into sevenths, is a good way to do EI dosing. It also isn't necessarily bad to dose the iron containing micros the same day you dose the phosphate containing macros. The problem is when you mix those in a bottle so you can dose one pre-mix of all of the nutrients. Then the iron and phosphate will combine leaving an insoluble precipitate.

I have switched to the daily dosing method, using a premix of the macro nutrients, and one of the micro nutrients. I dose one at the right end of the tank and the other a few seconds later at the left end of the tank. My plants continue to grow.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hello,
I need some help here. I picked up some ferts from Greg Watson, and I'm switching over from the Seachem line (more control issue). I would like to get 16 oz. PUMP bottles and have these items pre-mixed. I purchased a pound of the following; KN03, FE, K2S04, KH2P04, GH Builder, CSM+B Plantex.

How much would I need to pre-mix with a 16 oz. bottle for EI schedule below? Also can I mix any of these items together or do I need individual containers for each fert.? Then once I have it all mixed-up how many pumps a week would I need to do? (is that dependent on how much volume the pump dispels?)

A kick in the right direction would be excellent. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help in advance..

p.s. would it be easier if I used a different sized bottle for the pump (i.e. 8 oz. , 32 oz. ?)

1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
5ml Trace 3x a week
1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

EI target ranges
CO2 range 25-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
One of the best bottles to use for premixed fertilizers is the type Tropica Plant Nutrition Liquid comes in. You just squeeze the bottle to fill a small chamber at the top with the number of ml's you need, then pour the liquid in that chamber into the tank. Mine is marked at 10, 15, 20, 25 ml, and I dose 20 ml a day. So, the bottle contains 250 ml of fluid, and I dose 20 ml a day, so the bottle contains 12.5 doses in it. Multiply 12.5 doses times the amount of fertilizer per dose and add to the bottle, then fill the bottle with water. You can mix everything except the iron and traces in one bottle, and the iron and traces in another bottle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks kindly.

I'm in the process in finding a 500ml bottle to simplify my mixing. Once I figure out how much volume the pump will deliver I think I'll be able to figure how much to pre-mix and how often to dose. :D I hope.

Once pre-mixed do all of them need to be refrigerated?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Question about the solubility of the dry ferts. I'm thinking it would be convenient to mix the fertilizers into three batches of liquid for dosing: N, PK, and Trace. (I want N separate because the tank will already have a major source of "N" in the 4-5 goldfish the tank will eventually house.)

The question, basically, is whether the dry ferts are sufficiently soluble so that a 5 or 15 ml dose (the sizes measuring spoons I have convenient and dedicated to aquarium use) can contain the daily dose of each of the three mixes appropriate for the 55 gal tank. That way, I just dump in one spoonful each of three mixes daily. Easy to keep track of and no confusion about "what's scheduled for today, and which spoon for which fert."

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I dosed 15 ml per day of premix for a few months, and had no problem with dissolving the chemicals for a 45 gallon tank. So, a 30 ml dose could obviously be set up with no problem for a 90 gallon tank. And, I suspect you could use an even smaller daily dose. The NPK part of the nutrients is inorganic so it will last forever without refrigeration. It is only the chelators that are organic, and they are only in the trace mix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks. I'll probably use up the seachem until it's gone then go with the dry ferts from the source listed at the very beginning of this thread, mixed up into small set of nice, simply dosed, solutions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
So, the bottle contains 250 ml of fluid, and I dose 20 ml a day, so the bottle contains 12.5 doses in it. Multiply 12.5 doses times the amount of fertilizer per dose and add to the bottle, then fill the bottle with water.
So if I convert every (tsp dosage to ml and multiply by three)/7 is that my dosage ml per day? :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to find out how you came up with the 20ml per day dosage.
Note: I will be using a 500ml bottle for each fert, trace.

1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
5ml Trace 3x a week
1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

I think my only problem (once I figure out my solution portions) will be now is finding a pump that will give me a small amount of ml on each pump.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
So if I convert every (tsp dosage to ml and multiply by three)/7 is that my dosage ml per day? :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to find out how you came up with the 20ml per day dosage.
Note: I will be using a 500ml bottle for each fert, trace.

1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
5ml Trace 3x a week
1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

I think my only problem (once I figure out my solution portions) will be now is finding a pump that will give me a small amount of ml on each pump.
You are correct about figuring out the daily dose starting with the 3X per week dose. The amount of each dose depends on being sure it is big enough to dissolve all of the stuff you want in it, and something you can easily measure, either as a per squirt, or per capful, or per syringe full. There are pump bottles available, so you would just have to measure how much one pump gives, and use that as the per day quantity, unless that is too small to dissolve all of the ferts. In that case, use two pumps per dose.

·
Registered
642 Posts
41 - 60 of 220 Posts