Aquatic Plant Forum banner
61 - 80 of 225 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
The Barr plan that HS linked works well for me.

I use Tropica's Plant Nutrition liquid for the trace nutrients and Equilibrium for the GH Booster.

I dose only 50% of the daily required requirements. This is 50% the recommended amounts of macros one day and 50% of the micros the next.
Of course I should give credit where credit is due. Left C was kind enough to first advise me of the link. Thanks as always Left C.

· Registered
766 Posts
Ahh thats pretty nice. Thanks guys. Only question is which is the trace and iron dosing schedule on there. Am I missing it? Is it the TMG? Thanks

60 grams KNO3
18 grams of KH2PO4
25 grams of GH booster

Add 12 mls daily.
Add TMG at 2.5 mls daily.

· Registered
766 Posts
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher

Are we trying to reach these target ranges by the end of the week?

· Registered
766 Posts
You should try to always maintain those levels.
Gotcha. But if I'm using Chucks fert. calulator to figure amounts of dry powder to mix to make a solution, those target numbers should be the numbers I hit after 3 dosings? Right?

I'm trying to make a solution of each nutrient, so if I put in a certain number of tsp's it gives me a PPM for each ml of solution added. Once I get that PPM per ml of solution I can multiply that by the number of ml's (8ml-two pumps per dose) I want to add per dose then times 3 (3xweek). That number should be the target number.
Is this procedure correct? Just want to check before I start mixing and adding. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Hi Jeff

The math gets a little complicated. See the math part in this original EI article: http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

You may or may not end up with those parameters at the end of a week if you are just starting dosing.

As I understand it; for EI, you start a little lean and let the concentrations build up even though you are doing 50% weekly water changes. It might take a few weeks to reach those levels, but you shouldn't ever be over 2X the dosing amount ppm's when doing the weekly 50% water changes (from the math article above).

To be honest, I've practically quit testing. I've found that one of the tanks likes a little more potassium and another tank likes a little more phosphate and another tank likes less dosing.

In other words, all tanks aren't equal.

EI, EI Solution, PMDD, PPS, PPS-Pro, Seachem's recommended dosing, etc. all have to be tweaked a little, I believe. It depends on the many variables involved in each aquarium.

Left C

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Gotcha. But if I'm using Chucks fert. calculator to figure amounts of dry powder to mix to make a solution, those target numbers should be the numbers I hit after 3 dosings? Right?

I'm trying to make a solution of each nutrient, so if I put in a certain number of tsp's it gives me a PPM for each ml of solution added. Once I get that PPM per ml of solution I can multiply that by the number of ml's (8ml-two pumps per dose) I want to add per dose then times 3 (3xweek). That number should be the target number.
Is this procedure correct? Just want to check before I start mixing and adding. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
You can make dosing very involved and complicated or you can make it simple. I like to keep it simple. I believe that Tom Barr, Edward, Rex Grigg, Steve Hampton, Robert Hudson, Karen Randell and many others have refined things and made them much simpler than just a few years ago.

I would follow the EI, EI Solution, PPS-Pro etc. starting amounts and tweak them from there.

When I use EI, I dose dry. I don't bother with solutions. It's much easier. Rex has a guide on how to mix solutions if that's what you want to do. http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

EI Solution and PPS-Pro have the amounts of each nutrient listed to make your solution. Again, you may have to tweak them a bit if you have hard water or high nitrate and/or phosphate levels in your tap water.

Do you have the links to these three main dosing plans? If not, let me know and I'll give them to you. Ah heck, here they are anyway.
PPS-Pro: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html
EI: http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html
EI Solution: http://www.barrreport.com/estimativ...accuracy-want-daily-pmdd-style-ei-dosing.html

Good luck!

Left C

· Registered
642 Posts
I just bought some Tropica Master Grow to Experiment with as a TE mix. I want to test it on my 40 gallon where I am dosing EI dry. Would 5 ml of Tropica Master Grow 3 times as week for a 40 gallon be the correct measure for the trace. Thanks.

· Registered
115 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with EI with a less densely planted tank and a higher fish load? I am slowly building up my plant population (which does not seem to be what most people recommend) but like the ease of EI. I am thinking to do the one day a week macro dosing that is recommended for lower light situations, and maybe dosing a little less of the nitrates? does anybody have any experience with this. Also, EI seems to focus on the water column feeding. Should plants like Crypts still get root tabs, or can they adapt to the water column feeding?
thank you very much

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
EI was designed for high light, CO2 injected, heavily planted tanks. When you adapt it for lower light, no CO2, and lightly planted tanks, you can't use the tables in the sticky. As I recall, the usual plan is to dose only once a week, and dose somewhat less than the dose recommended for 3 times a week. That also means you don't need weekly 50% water changes, but monthly would be more like it. By then it isn't really EI.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Yes, EI should work for you. If your planting density is low, just cut the amounts in half. "Root feeders", like almost all plants, absorb nutrients from the water too. Root tabs or a nutrient rich substrate are good, and they make it less critical when you forget to dose for a couple of days, but you can grow those plants with just water column dosing too.

61 - 80 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.