Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 225 Posts

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Hi, do you really need to dose Ca and Mg if you have a GH value of 5-6? Thanks
Since GH doesn't tell you whether you have zero magnesium or a lot of magnesium, it can be desirable to dose magnesium even with a GH of 5 degrees. I can find out how much I have, on average, in my tap water from my water quality report. The report also gives the range of values that might exist throughout the year. Since, my range can hit zero, I dose some epsom salts to be sure I have magnesium in the water.

· Registered
124 Posts
Hi, I am currently dosing MgSO4+7H2O (Epsom salts) following the PMDD formula, but I am still confuse on the fact that if I dose Mg and no Ca wouldn't that cause a Ca deficiency due to excess Mg compare to Ca. By the way I have soft water 3 KH tap water and I am not sure on the GH because my AP test kit does not seem to work, I've added over 25 drops of the reagent and no change in color, the only results I have are from a test strip that showed around 80 ppm, but we all know how unacurate those test strips really are. I am about to purchase some KH2PO4 Phosphate the missing component on the PMDD formula and I wanted to be sure I did not need any CaCO3. I appreciate you input on the subject. Thanks

· Banned
732 Posts
I probably don't know what I'm doing?

Something doesn't seem right with the EI dosing guides. For example:

For a 100 -125 gal tank
+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

When I use the fertilator and the values: 1 1/2 tsp KN03, 1/2 tsp KH2P04 and a 110 gal tank, I come up with these ppm increases:
NO3 11.49
PO4 4.69
K 9.18

Isn't PO4 way too high?

Also 1/2 tsp is only 2.5 ml not 30 ml? Isn't 30 ml of trace way to high?

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Re: I probably don't know what I'm doing?

Something doesn't seem right with the EI dosing guides. For example:

For a 100 -125 gal tank
+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

When I use the fertilator and the values: 1 1/2 tsp KN03, 1/2 tsp KH2P04 and a 110 gal tank, I come up with these ppm increases:
NO3 11.49
PO4 4.69
K 9.18

Isn't PO4 way too high?

Also 1/2 tsp is only 2.5 ml not 30 ml? Isn't 30 ml of trace way to high?
The numbers for trace elements are 1/2 tsp if dosed dry, or 30 ml of a mix of trace mix in water. I don't remember what the "standard" mix in water is, since I never do that.

· Banned
732 Posts

The numbers for trace elements are 1/2 tsp if dosed dry, or 30 ml of a mix of trace mix in water.
That make sense but the diluted formula calls for 3 tsp (1 tbl) dissolved in 250 ml.
That means adding 30 ml is too low:

3tsp/250ml x 30ml = 0.36 tsp.

I think you want to add 40 ml:
3tsp/250ml x 40ml = 0.48 tsp

I doubt this will make much of a difference.

Do you have any take on the PO4?

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts

That make sense but the diluted formula calls for 3 tsp (1 tbl) dissolved in 250 ml.
That means adding 30 ml is too low:

3tsp/250ml x 30ml = 0.36 tsp.

I think you want to add 40 ml:
3tsp/250ml x 40ml = 0.48 tsp

I doubt this will make much of a difference.

Do you have any take on the PO4?
I didn't comment on the PO4 because I have been dosing about 1.5 to 2X the EI dosage on PO4 to help control GSA. From what I have been reading, there is nothing wrong with dosing 1/2 tsp for a 100 gallon tank. When you consider the range of tank sizes the dosages are given for, it is obvious that accuracy in dosing isn't important. Tom Barr always says these dosages are just starting points, and you can start reducing them a bit, watching for adverse results, reducing a bit more, etc. I don't do that because I haven't been good at keeping my plant mass nearly constant. The increased plant mass as the plants take off means you need more fertilizer anyway.

· Registered
64 Posts
I have a 90 gallon tall tank. It has a sump so that adds to the volumn of water. My lighting is 2.4 wpg but is actually less because of the depth of the tank. It is fully stocked with fish and probably has a medium load of plants. It has 1/2 Flourite/1/2 gravel. It is about 2 1/2 years old. I do have algae but it is not awful. The only plants that do well are crypts. I've used various fertilizers but recently switched to the EI method.

1/2 tsp seachem equalibrium
1/4 tsp kn03
1/8 kh2p04
2 capful of Flourish excel daily

I do a 15-20% waterchange every three weeks which I really don't want to change.

Should I dose the nutrients twice a week? Are the amounts I plan to dose with a good starting point? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
If you want to switch to the EI method you need to do so. Switching to that method means dosing more than the minimum of each nutrient, then doing about a 50% water change every week to avoid a too high build up of any of the nutrients. So, you should dose:
1 tsp of KNO3 three times a week
3/8 tsp of KH2PO4 three times a week, along with the KNO3
3/8 tsp of CSM+B three times a week on different days from the above dosing.

If you want to stick to 15-20% water changes every 3 weeks, you can't dose per EI. Then you need to look into PPS Pro as an alternative.

· Registered
525 Posts
If you want to switch to the EI method you need to do so. Switching to that method means dosing more than the minimum of each nutrient, then doing about a 50% water change every week to avoid a too high build up of any of the nutrients. So, you should dose:
1 tsp of KNO3 three times a week
3/8 tsp of KH2PO4 three times a week, along with the KNO3
3/8 tsp of CSM+B three times a week on different days from the above dosing.

If you want to stick to 15-20% water changes every 3 weeks, you can't dose per EI. Then you need to look into PPS Pro as an alternative.
One of the reasons i switched from E.I. that was working for me to PPS-Pro was i didn't have the time to do water changes on 4 tanks every week. and the buildup from skipping a wc gets pretty big. I have to say i was happy with E.I. but im even happier with PPS-Pro

· Registered
64 Posts
EI was designed for high light, CO2 injected, heavily planted tanks. When you adapt it for lower light, no CO2, and lightly planted tanks, you can't use the tables in the sticky. As I recall, the usual plan is to dose only once a week, and dose somewhat less than the dose recommended for 3 times a week. That also means you don't need weekly 50% water changes, but monthly would be more like it. By then it isn't really EI.
Thanks for the info on pps-pro. I am researching it now. The one think I don't like about it is the daily dosing so I need to think whether this will work for me.

I think your comment above is interesting. This is why I posted my original question to see if it could work with my setup. But I gather you would not recommend it????

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
If my nitrates are already high (about 50) should I still add the KN03?
If your nitrates are already high you should calibrate your nitrate test kit, by verifying that it gives the right concentration when checked against solutions with known concentrations of nitrate in them. Only then can you know that your nitrates are high.

50 ppm of nitrate in a well planted tank will be used up in less than two weeks, so unless you have a known continuous source of nitrates, such as a heavy fish load, you will still need to add nitrates.

· Registered
470 Posts
I just received my ferts and I'd like to know if my calculations are correct before I make my stock solution. I will be using a 750ml pump bottle which dispenses approx. 4.25ml each pump. This was measured by pumping once into a small vial which was then emptied with a 1ml pipette 4 times and a bit left over.

According to Chucks dosing calculator I should add the following:

KNO3: 54 tsp to the 750ml, each mL of which will add 1.19ppm of Nitrate x 4.25ml/pump = ~5ppm each day x 3 days= 15ppm

KH2SO4: 9 tsp to the 750ml, each mL will add .19ppm of Phosphate x 4.25ml/pump = ~.81ppm each day x 2 days = 1.62ppm

I will dose KNO3 on M,W,F and KH2SO4 & Micros on T,R, 30% WC on Saturdays and Sunday is time to kick back and watch the plants. ;)

Please let me know if this would work and if I would be able to mix all of that into a single bottle. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
27 Posts
Hi
I am a bit confused by the EI mixing/dosing. I have KN03; K2S04, KH2P04 as well as FE chelate 10% and Barr's GH Booster. I want to mix & dose for 65 gallons of water. I have contacted the local water supplier and got the following info.
N03 - 2.2 ppm; P04 .024 ppm; K 2.7 I beleive the next step is to subtracted this amount from the mean taget range suggested by Tom Barr. I have also tested the water with new API kits. I have a PH of 7.6 with a KH reading of 6 and a reading of 5 for K . All other readings are zero :)
Both tanks are filled with plants and some fish.
More info..... I have been double dosing Excel for about a week to combat BBA. I expect to be on C02 in May of this year. I am also using seachem gravel fertilizers.

My problem ... now what do I do. This is a big challege for a non chemistry hobbist. Can someone assist please?
Thanks,
redtheinspector

· Registered
27 Posts
Assuming you have average tap water, you need KNO3 and KH2PO4. You also need a source of trace elements, which can be Greg Watson's CSM+B or it can be a commercial trace mix, such as Flourish. Your big tank will go through commercial trace mixes pretty fast, so CSM+B would be the best idea. Assuming you have about 300 watts of PC quality light with good reflectors, I would start by dosing 2 tsp KNO3 3X per week, 3/4 tsp KH2PO4 3X per week, and 1/2 - 3/4 tsp CSM+B (dosed dry) 3X per week. If you have much lower light than 300 watts, I would cut down to 2X or less per week.

*If your water has a low GH, or little or no Mg component of the GH I would dose Greg Watsons Barr GH builder too.
Hi Hoppy,
What is considered a low GH & how do we now how much of Barrs GH booster should be dosed into 65 gallons. I have 4 X 55 W lighting.

PS - I live in los Angeles & would like to meet others going the EI route.
As it happens I will be in Davis ythis weekend for their huge 100 anniversay "picnic day"
Is anyone going to be there?
Regards
redtheinspector

81 - 100 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.