Aquatic Plant Forum banner
161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
KNO3 and KH2PO4 are most likely not needed based on my experience if you have high fish load or you feed your fish frequently. EI dosing can pretty much be simplified down to dosing just GH booster and CSM+B. GH Booster has the right ratio of K/Ca/Mg, and CSM+B has all the micro + Boron.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry if this has been said already but im wondering when everyone doses each fert?

a monday to friday list would be nice, im curious if any should be dosed first before others

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry if this has been said already but im wondering when everyone doses each fert?

a monday to friday list would be nice, im curious if any should be dosed first before others
IT HAS BEEN SAID...... MACROS AND MICROS are dosed on alternating days.
I dose macros Sun, Tues & Thurs
I dose micros on Mon, Wed & Fri

on Saturday I ride my recumbent all day ...LOL & on Sunday before I ride my recumbent I do a 50% water change

When dosing macros it makes no difference which is first just do not do macros & micros on the same day :)

HTH

·
Registered
444 Posts
How much dry chelated iron to add?

In the past I noticed an improvement in growth and color when I started using a liquid Fe supplement, so would like to start supplementing Fe again, but in dry powdered form.

If I'm already adding recommended EI levels for our Biocube 29 (actual volume about 22 g) and 125H g (actual volume about 112g), how many teaspoons dry Chelated Iron (from aquariumfertilizer.com) would you add?

125g H - currently add 1/2 tsp CSM+B on alternate days
Biocube 29g - currently add 1/16 CSM+B on alternate days

Both tanks are CO2 injected with inline reactors and have good light from T5HO and PC bulbs with reflectors, though I tend to keep the light on the medium end (except when I occasionally rev the growth with more light when I want to grow out certain plants more quickly). Substrate is ADA Aquasoil Amazonia I.

Growth is good, algae is almost totally at bay, but I think growth and color would be even better with some Fe.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Making a Liquid Stock of Plantex CSM+B is more often mixed into a bulk liquid solution since some find it more convenient to dose their trace elements this way. The recipe for this solution is 1 tablespoon to 250ml water is equivalent to: 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry Plantex. This solution is stored in refrigerators to prevent mold from forming within the container. For making stock solutions for NPK refer here for a resourceful conversion calculator.

the hyperlink for making npk stock solution is broken

·
Registered
148 Posts
Making a Liquid Stock of Plantex CSM+B is more often mixed into a bulk liquid solution since some find it more convenient to dose their trace elements this way. The recipe for this solution is 1 tablespoon to 250ml water is equivalent to: 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry Plantex. This solution is stored in refrigerators to prevent mold from forming within the container. For making stock solutions for NPK refer here for a resourceful conversion calculator.

the hyperlink for making npk stock solution is broken
Yeah im having trouble finding a source that shows me how to make NPK solutions for EI dosing.

Can anyone show me the way to a recipe that shows how to make two solutions for micros and macro with EI dosing instructions to a 50g of water tank?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here's what I came up with:

Starting with "General Dosing Guideline for High Light and Well Planted Aquariums":

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

If I wanted to make a gallon of solution:
3,780 millilitres = 1 gallon
378 x 10 ml doses @ 3 x a week = 126 weeks worth of dosing!

Trace Elements 1/16 tsp x 378 doses = 23.625 tsp to a gallon of water

378/16 = 23.625 teaspoons = ½ cup
1/cup = 126 weeks of dosing.
2 years + 22 weeks until December 2012

(1 cup = 48 tsp)

For ¼ tsp KN03 and 1/16 tsp KH2P04

½ cup KH2P04, 2 cups KN03 to one gallon, 10ml dose, 378 doses.
Or if you want a weaker dose:
1/4 cup KH2P04, 1 cup KN03 to one gallon, 20ml dose, 189 doses.

I copied pasted this from my records, I hope it makes sense. My EI dosing is based on a smaller tank, 20-40 gallons (although my tank is 55). Even that I find is too much fertilizer. If I dose 3 times a week I wind up nitrates close to 40 ppm... but YMMV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, i have just ordered some dry fertilizers from aquariumfertilizers.com but my tank has a few BBA that is starting to get under control. At the moment i just add K twice a week, CaCl2 and MgSO4 to raise my GH to 6ºdH, NaHCO3 to raise the KH to 2ºdH.

Can i start to use EI even with this few algae problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

I dont have plantex so I will be using EI for macros and I will dose micros and iro though seachems flourish trace elements and flourish iron. Does this sound good?

Can I mix a solution of KN03, KH2P04 and K2S04 and dose 3 times a week or maybe even daily a certain amount of the solution e.g 5 ml a day or 10 ml every other day????

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Plantex is just the CSM+B that is available online along with the other ferts. They are all usually sold in a kit for $19 or so. That much should last you quite a while. You can dose the flourish products though it will probably be way way less cost effective.

You can also mix the macros to make one solution and dose or do them dry dosing. The amounts listed in the first post are for dosing dry by teaspoonfuls. If you mix you have to achieve the same level of ppm by the end of the week. It doesn't matter whether you dose daily or every other day. Just leave some time between dosing your macros and your traces. There can be a reaction between iron and phosphates. You will see a white cloudiness which is the iron precipitating out of your water becoming unavailable to your plants. Some people wait 10 minutes, others 2 hours. Just see what works for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
alright, i am trying to figure out a DAILY routine and dry fert solution for my 40 gal using this calculator
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm
hoping someone might let me know if i have a good starting point with these measurements

KNO3- 5tsp in 500ml water, add 15ml=3.64 ppm
KH2P04- .5tsp in 500 ml. add 15ml=.46 ppm (this one i am wondering on, it would give me a weekly total of 3.22, more than the target range, but far less than the recommended dosage)
CSM+B- 1tsp in 500ml water add 15 ml=roughly recommended dosage

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi to my question is probably answered somewhere I'm sure but I'll ask here anyway:
My calculator says that I have to dose, for example: 20 ml of KNO3 to get 20ppm a week.
Now do I have to divide those 20 ml in three doses a week or should I add three times 20 ml a week(which I actually do)?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi to my question is probably answered somewhere I'm sure but I'll ask here anyway:
My calculator says that I have to dose, for example: 20 ml of KNO3 to get 20ppm a week.
Now do I have to divide those 20 ml in three doses a week or should I add three times 20 ml a week(which I actually do)?
Dose about 7ml every other day.

161 - 180 of 225 Posts