Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have has downoi turn white before so i have seen that. but i have not seen the long strings grow out of it. almost 6 inches long now with a.......bladder? every 1/2 inch or so. sorry cant get a good close up i will keep trying.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I just posted to your other thread. I thought that white was just your exposure! I think you need to start dosing ferts. with iron, & traces. (Why aren't you dosing?..)

Pull the bladderwort out. It will take over. It's not good.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just posted to your other thread. I thought that white was just your exposure! I think you need to start dosing ferts. with iron, & traces. (Why aren't you dosing?..)

Pull the bladderwort out. It will take over. It's not good.
I will yank the bladderwort out asap.

as for dosing i have soil under the sand.

i am confused i thought i read somewhere that downoi will turn white with excess nitrates at their roots. maybe im wrong.....

with the soil in thier i wouldnt even know where to start dosing at.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think its actually kinda pretty. pretty sure its going to melt but its been white like that for almost 8-9days

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
You must have high light or your UG wouldn't be growing. With high light you need ferts. I don't know what to say about the soil. I know people use it in El Natural tanks. I have read that people do a mix with soil, capped and high tech. Is that what you're doing? If so, you still need to dose. And you need to do w/c. Do you think your plants have used up the nutrients in your tank? Did you enrich your soil with something, like Aarons mineralized soil? I know he doesn't dose with that except for K, I think. I guess it depends on what you put in your soil. Even so with high light the plants grow fast and use up the nutrients. That may be what's happening.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must have high light or your UG wouldn't be growing. With high light you need ferts. I don't know what to say about the soil. I know people use it in El Natural tanks. I have read that people do a mix with soil, capped and high tech. Is that what you're doing? If so, you still need to dose. And you need to do w/c. Do you think your plants have used up the nutrients in your tank? Did you enrich your soil with something, like Aarons mineralized soil? I know he doesn't dose with that except for K, I think. I guess it depends on what you put in your soil. Even so with high light the plants grow fast and use up the nutrients. That may be what's happening.
my lighting is a 27watt home depot desk lamp special :D

the soil is actually composted potting soil. was experimenting with it before i read aaront's article on ASW.

Really this whole tank was a bunch of experiments.

I want to start doing Co2 on the tank but im really bad at making new mixes.

maybe i will start doing a low dose pps and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I've had small groups of Downoi turn white like that before, but I don't know why. I'm interested to see if someone knows the answer. I'm assuming it's a nutrient deficiency.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think its a calcium deficiency. It happens to me too because my water is extermely soft. The nice healthy erio next to it is another clue.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i started dosing 0.5ml PPS-pro to tank i will keep picture records to see how it goes with downoi and other plants. I will test KH and GH tonight.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yikes... let us know how dosing a soil tank goes. I was taught flat out not to do it unless absolutely needed in one specific nutrient, and then to do that nutrient very very sparingly.

I don't dose mine with the exception of .2ppm potassium once in a while - so next to nothing.

Downoi is taking quite a while to establish, but I can't tell if it isn't coming back, or if the cherry shrimp are just eating the new growth....I suspect the shrimp though, as others have grown it fine in soil tanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yikes... let us know how dosing a soil tank goes. I was taught flat out not to do it unless absolutely needed in one specific nutrient, and then to do that nutrient very very sparingly.

I don't dose mine with the exception of .2ppm potassium once in a while - so next to nothing.

Downoi is taking quite a while to establish, but I can't tell if it isn't coming back, or if the cherry shrimp are just eating the new growth....I suspect the shrimp though, as others have grown it fine in soil tanks.
ingg,

thanks for scaring me:pout:.

lol bi will let you know how it goes i could have a nice tank of green soup for sale soon.

so far its going ok havnt noticed any changes really except the HC is thicker.

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts