Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a few vals awhile back. They weren't huge or in top notch shape but seemed to be growing. I added a rather large amount of Excel before I left for a few days, and when I returned the mature leaves had all melted. The roots and new sprouts look great though.

I had some advice it might have been the Excel, but I'm not sure. What would cause the vals to melt and all the fish, inverts and other plants were ok?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Apparently excel does that. I had vals and I used 20ML in my 25 gallon and the vals grew like mad. Well my wild collected vals did. the Domesticated ones didn't do much of anything.

Vals and fissidens are apparently the ones that don't like excel.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Vals and bryophytes in general reportedly don't like Excel. That said, I've failed to kill my vals using up to 1mL/5g of Metricide 14 (roughly same glutaraldehyde conc. as in Excel).

·
Registered
299 Posts
At least some Vals can become acclimated to Flourish Excel. I have Italian Vals in two of my tanks and dose regularly with Excel. It is best if you start up with a minimal dose and build up to a normal dosage over two or three weeks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These were jungle vals. And I was trying to knock out some green water, so it was a rather high dose.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are certainly growing faster than my swords or anubias, which are my entire experience with rooted rosettes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
816 Posts
funny enough, my jungle vals are not growing too fast, but the wild collected one is going nuts. Anubias don't grow that fast. mine produes a leaf or two a month. My swords are doing well enough, not massively fast but suffient. my Apongeton is getting a bigger leaf each time. After the excel it all grew MUCH faster.

·
Registered
298 Posts
GA won't do much against green water. If it kills any of the algal cells they just lyse and release ammonia back into the water which immediately becomes more green water. At least, its never done much against green water in my experience.
up to 1ml/gallon seems to be the threshold for Vals against 2.5% GA (excel).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts